Which spinner or lure?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Whilst fishing the river last evening I noticed loads of small fry scattering everywhere.
Pike, perch, chub, I'm not sure, but I'm gonna find out tonight with your help.
I'm gonna hit the tackle shop in about an hour, to buy some small spinners, which should I choose???

Cheers guys.
Steve.

L

Les Clark

Hi D.B. ,I`m not a lure or spinner man but you can`t go far wrong with Mepps small spinner`s ,if they still make them .

L

little sister ( Jeff )

Why dont you try a dirty great big spoon like the one you got me, if you don't hook them you can knock them out.

B

Budgie Burgess

Steve,in most fry feeding situations (regardless of species) Ive always found lures pretty poor.A bit of a needle in a haystack thing.

Ive found a small shallow fished deadbait cast right amongst where you saw the fry scatter the best method.Most predators when fry feeding tend to just slam into the shoals maiming/stunning several and returning later to mop them up.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Cheers Budgie, I will try it out.
I didn't get a chance to fish the assortment of spinners I bought, because some kids were swimming, but I will return.

Hopefully I will latch into a nice perch, I haven't had one in ages.

Reaction score
Jason,

I've heard people recommend Ondex before but have never had the chance to view or use, what's so good about them above say Mepps?

captain carrott

Reaction score
can't really say other than for big perch they out catch for me any time. maybe it's the red wool tag.

have a look at the harris lure company website they had them on there.
with piccies.

they are a different blade shape to mepps aglias more pear shaped.

A

Andrew Macfarlane

Wobble a sprat/small roach/perch right through the middle of the spot where all the action is happening.

G

Gary Knowles

I like spoons for catching pike near fry, mepps for perch..

Better still fish one of the fry below a free roaming chubber float with a single hook and light wire trace!

C

Chris Bishop

Ondexes have a big blade and a light body so you can fish them very slow and they still stay quite high in the water.

Not so sure if they're any use for fry feeding pike but they work well on some of the shallower drains.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Thanks guys for some top tips, I'm on earlies next week so I will be going down to have a look.

Hopefully there won't be any kids doing dive bombs from the rope they lashed to a over hanging tree on the far bank!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

You could always be a sport Steve and cut the rope down for them?