long range particles

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
hi to anyone interested,
i am planning on a trip to a faily large water which is primarily fished using particles, mainly hemp and maize.
is their any way of carp fishing, two rod (sleepers) without using a spod, catapult or pva. this is because i dont have spod equipment, its long range so a catapult to fire hemp would seem, correct me if im wrong, uneffective to get to the range, and pva i find is a bit to grouped, however im being forced onto pva because i have no other idea on what to do. if pva is the way forward, any recipes for a pva bag particle mix would be greatly appreciated! thank for the future, CMM

quickcedo

Reaction score
From what you describe I'm afraid it's lots of small pva bags (which can be catapulted aswell). If you are in very deep water, add a small stone to the pva to ensure it hits bottom before breaking down. This also helps with distance with the catapult.
The best particle mix I know is pigeon conditioner (it smells of aniseed) mixed with hemp about 50/50. Add salt to this to make it pva friendly.

Beaker

Reaction score
you could use like I do a mini spod like a Korda mini spod or a Gardner pocket rocket. They can be used on a standard carp rod and you could get out a fair ammount of loose feed and fish small pva bags over the top.

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
im using 2 3/4 12 foot and aound 70 yards its not THAT long but i dont usuall do it, plus i dont have a mini spod and spare carp rod and reel to do the mini spodding that was previously described.

noknot

Reaction score
70 yards is not long range IMO, Just get a mini spod or spomb and use one of your Carp rods to bait up, when finished baiting up change to a fishing rig, you will be fine!

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
thanks noknot, however does anyone boil up their own particles or know the ration of salt to particles to make it pva freindly, (dont wanna add too much salt to taste bad or too little so it doesnt act pva freindly!) thanks for any further tips

Beaker

Reaction score
CMM just go on to the Hinders website they have instructions on prepareing all well known particles.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
70 yards is not long range IMO, Just get a mini spod or spomb and use one of your Carp rods to bait up, when finished baiting up change to a fishing rig, you will be fine!

Totally agree. With that gear you should be able to throw a small-medium spod no trouble - certainly at ranges up to about eighty yards. As mentioned above, the little Gardner pocket rocket is ideal - in fact with 2.75lb rods I bet you could go up to a slightler larger one. I have no trouble throwing the smallest size one filled with maggots, hemp etc on a Wilson Avon and have used that set-up many times to bait up at ranges of fifty to sixty yards when tench and bream fishing.

I don't own a spod rod, or a marker rod. If I deem it necessary, I set up one of my normal carp rods (2.25lb test) with a marker float, find a feature and leave the marker out, then set the other up with just a spod. First throw with the spod filled with water is a distance finding excercise; when I've got the range I clip up, tie a marker on the line and then spod as normal. Once I've finished baiting up the marker is pulled down to the lead, the line clipped up and marked as before, then it's retrieved. Both rods are now clipped up for range and a far-bank tree or similar feature is used to gauge direction. Then I simply attach a rig to each and chuck em out. If I want to add some more bait later I simply remove the end rig from one rod, re-attach the spod and off we go.

It doesn't take that much longer than using a dedicated marker and spod outfit (just the time taken to remove the spod/marker and attach a rig) and in any case I'd rather sacrifice a little time at the beginning of a session and save weight (and cost) than lug two extra made-up rods about.