RNLI fundraiser cancelled

I

Ian Cloke

THERE was outrage and sadness in a Dorset fishing town yesterday as locals mourned the death of a cherished tradition, killed off after complaints from animal rights activists.

Since time immemorial, or at least since 1974, the denizens of Lyme Regis have gathered on the harbour to indulge in the traditional sport of the conger: a game of skill and balance involving a dead eel.

In the annual finale to the town?s Lifeboat Week, nine players or ?conger cuddlers?, would mount wooden blocks arrayed in a triangular formation. An opposing team of nine would take turns to swing a dead conger, suspended from a rope, and try to knock their opponents from their perches as if they were human skittles, the crowd assisting with carefully aimed buckets of sea water.

It was, by common consent, the most fun one could have with a dead fish.

Last night the finest conger cuddlers in the world should have been gathering at the quayside to compete before a crowd of thousands. Teams of firemen, powerboat racers, fishermen ? all were preparing to take their chances against the swinging eel in a tournament that raises about ?3,000 for the RNLI. This year, however, an anonymous animal rights activist has scuppered the event after writing to the RNLI, complaining that the event was ?disrespectful? to dead animals and threatening to film it and use the footage for a nationwide campaign against conger cuddling.

Rob Michael, chairman of the Lyme Regis Lifeboat Guild, was advised by the RNLI to abandon the conger cuddling. ?The RNLI is not prepared to be involved in an event that may be seen by some as a barbaric throwback,? he said.

Ken Whetlor, the Mayor of Lyme Regis, pointed out that the conger eels used werecaught accidentally in fisherman?s nets and frozen for the event. ?The writer of that letter is a gutless troublemaker with nothing better to do than stop people enjoying an innocent event that helps to raise money to save lives,? he said.

For Richard Fox, 66, a retired publican, local historian, and former world champion town crier, the demise of the sport he helped to found is little short of tragic. ?One person creates a fuss over a dead fish and destroys the enjoyment of a large amount of people who do this every year,? he said.

Mr Fox bestowed the game on a grateful town when he arrived from Somerset, where farmhands play a game called mangel dangling ? a similar time-honoured sport involving a mangel-wurzel, a large root vegetable. He sought to translate that tradition into Dorset fishing culture. He told The Times: ?The conger is an extremely slippery fish. The chaps try to grab hold of it to try to stay on their stand.?

Hence the cuddle, although, should you try this at home, he advises that one should crouch as the fish strikes, maintaining a low centre of gravity.

Mr Fox has little hope that the sport might flourish in secret. ?The problem is that you need a big space,? he said. ?It?s not like street fighting.?

So Lyme Regis is left to cast about for a new ritual. ?In Bermuda, our twin town, they still practise ducking. That?s far worse,? Mr Fox said, before adding, thoughtfully: ?Though there are a few women round here I could think of for that.?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Typical PC nonsense and more fool them for cowtowing to the demands of extremists. They would have been better served by going ahead with day and when 'smarta@@e anti' came along with his camera, depositing him and his camera into the harbour so he could better observe how healthy the local fish population really is.

J

John Adair

It does seem a bit odd cancelling something like that on after just *one* anonymous complaint.

Although I find it hard to get over-excited about the prospect of a dead conger, it's interesting to consider the point at which it might seem in poor taste. How about a fund-raiser from whacking each other over the noggin with dead carp? Or barbel? (Ones that had been killed accidentally, of course.)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Well I've whacked a few carp over the noggin in my life, including fish of over 40 lbs.

Better than leaving them to gasp away slowly.

alan

Reaction score
they could use something else instaed of a conger, or make a fake one.

while i dont like the idea of banning an event, in this case all i can say is "good".

I

Ian Cloke

Will they stop people cutting fish up for baiting crab/lobster pots, if some animal rights person phones up? If not, why not? It's still a form of mutilation!

They stopped a great deal of money being raised for a VERY worthy cause though. I just hope the person/s who did this need the help of a lifeboat, but bacause of their narrowmindedness, there isn't one!!!!

Not only have they stopped the RNLI from getting some funds, they have stopped the local community from earning some money, if the people don't attend these events, who's going to suppliment local shops, restaurants etc? Will it be animal rights????

alan

Reaction score
some good points Ian, but they could have held the event with a fake conger.

just think of the out rage if it had been dead barbel used instead.

the thing that bugs me about this, is the fact that conger is ediable, and sold in shops. to waste/save a fish for this event must mean they were undersize or the trawler was over his limit and using it this purpose let him land it legally.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Read it in the paper.just goes to show how the animal rights lobby exercise power well beyong their size by threatening negative publicity in the media.Take notice everyone.

Just in case it isn't clear to the activist concerned the conger was DEAD!

davestocker

Reaction score
In the last month I have been aware of another two incidents where individuals have been forced to change their behaviour simply because an individual (or two) have claimed to have been ?distressed? or ?offended? by it.

The other stories involve a T-shirt bearing the slogan ?Bollocks to Blair? (story at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/printview/index.php?aid=68779 ), a sign on a garden gate reading "Our dogs are fed on Jehovah's Witnesses" (story at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/07/28/nwitness28.xml

It seems that a single complaint can get a result. Utter madness!