New to fishing, your help appreciated

Ryan Sandison

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm new to fishing and have purchased a fishing rod, reel, line, floats, hooks, spinners today.

Where can I find out what I should be doing with this? Perhaps someone here can help?

I need to know how to work the reel, there are lots of different things on there. Any advice would be great.

(excuse me for my ignorance)

alan

Reaction score
what stuff did you buy? type/make etc.
what sort of fishing are you planning on doing
and where are you plannig on fishing.

what area are you in? you might find some one local willing to help.

Ryan Sandison

Reaction score
I purchased:

'Ugly Stick' Gold Spin 1560.270 length 2.70m casting weight 25-60gms

A Ganza Rear Drag Reel

Omni-Flex line

Round Floats

and some hooks and spinners.

I would be trout fishing in a loch, in Shetland.

I need to know some basics like what I'm meant to do to set up and use the reel etc.

Thank you for your help

C

Chris Bishop

You're probably best-off using the spinners for trout.

I check what the rules are where you intend to fish RE permitted methods, the shop you bought your kit from should be able to help.

have you loaded the line on the reel yet or do you literally have all the stuff sitting there and you're wondering what to do with it..?

F

Fred Bonney

Just an out of interest enquiry Ryan,what made you decide to buy fishing tackle,and who advised you on your purchase?

Ryan Sandison

Reaction score
Quote: 'have you loaded the line on the reel yet or do you literally have all the stuff sitting there and you're wondering what to do with it..?'

This may sound silly but I'm probably still sitting there wondering, I will manage to do it though, with a little help from the experts of course. This is an idiot sounding question but do I need to fasten the line on the reel in some way before I start to wind on?

Fred, I went fishing when I was a young lad about say 15 years ago with my uncle. I started to think recently that I'd like to have another go, so on a 'spontaneous' thought I went in to our local fishing shop and bought rod, reel and the lot. The chap in there was extremely helpful and said that I should not spend too much on a first purchase etc. Anyway I chose the rod and reel I spoke about earlier as I felt it to be right. Full marks for the chap in the shop, he did not try to pressure or up-sell to me, a generally decent person and I appreciate his help.

So I guess some of you will have thought I have been a little rash in my decision to purchase the equipment, but I think I have done the correct thing. I have started many a hobby like this and have not failed yet. I will add that I have been sea fishing a number of times as well.

So what I need is enough info to get started, like how to get the line on the reel and so on, then I will be quite happy going and using it.

I really appreciate your help.

P.S. How can I stop my name from displaying on each post? Since this is quite a small place where I live I would like a measure of privacy. Thanks.

S

Sean Meeghan

Ryan I think the best bet is to go back to the shop and ask the guy for some help in loading the line on the reel. The next step is to get someone to take you fishing. Ask in the shop. There will also be professional guides in the Shetlands and it might be worth booking a day with one of these. It won't be cheap, but at least you'll get some competent instruction. Make sure that the guide understands what you want to do before booking though - you can't fly fish with that gear!

Good luck

PS you can change the name displayed on a post in your Profile. My real name is Attilla the Hun, but I don't want the neighbours to know! Ron might disaprove of this use of a nickname but he can't stop you!

J

Jeremy Preston

Try this guide to trout fishing in Shetland....you may have already seen it, but a quick Google search turns up quite a lot of other information.

T

The Monk

I thought I reconised you Attilla, hows the rest of the lads, still into the old rape and pillage?

S

Sean Meeghan

Yes Monk still get the odd night out with the lads. Piles are playing up a bit now so have to stay off the ponies. Its not the same as when I used to live in St Helens though!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Attile
You didn't live next door to Ronnie Pendleton did you ......he was a hun too

S

Sean Meeghan

No but I had a bit of a do with him once. Never had owt to do with him after that. Think he lived in Parr - my yurt was on the posh side of town near Pilks.

Ryan Sandison

Reaction score
Back to the subject in hand. I've now been out fishing, but unfortunately my line kept getting tangled. There is an adjuster on the back which did make it better.

Should I have a float on as well as a spinner. What are your suggestions for casting the rod? e.g. should I cast fro the side or overhead?

Thank you for your help again.

S

Sean Meeghan

Hi Ryan. The adjuster at the back is the drag which allows a fish to take line without breaking you. Adjust it so that you can just pull line off the spool and leave it. Cast overhead. Don't use a float with a spinner.

No Ed never fished Halsnead. Fished mostly in St Helens until I left to rape and pillage Yorkshire.

Ryan Sandison

Reaction score
Thank you for the info Sean.

How do I stop the line from tangling up whilst casting. I seem to cast off then the line, which does not go very far and tangles up in the reel mechanism.

Thank you

S

Sean Meeghan

Ryan you shouldn't get any tangles with a fixed spool reel when casting. I suggest you watch other anglers or get someone to give you 5 minutes tuition. I suspect its your timing thats out. Might be worth trying a search on Google on casting with a fixed spool you may be able to pick up some animated instructions.

Ryan Sandison

Reaction score
Thanks for that Sean, I will take careful study of this instruction. I will tell you how I get on.

Thank you again