Whats The Best Way to Catch Trout

Kris Fraser

Reaction score
Hi i have been going down my local stream for 1 month now and everyday i catch baby sea trout about 4 inches long what is the best way to catch big trout and what am i doing wrong

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Learn how to fly fish.

Buy a copy of "Sea Trout Fishing" by Hugh Falkus. You can get paper back editions for very little.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Chunk of bread or lob-worm on a handline

It always worked for me, god damn trout are thick!

Ian Alexander

Reaction score
Bait fishing for me just dosen't have the excitement, the expectation of the take.

I have fished the Wye and Avon for sea trout and when fishing for them there is one main criteria to consider. NO moon and inky blackness. A water clear and not too high but enough for easy egress to the next level. I found black flies the best. My best fish was only a four and a quarter pounder but catching it by casting into total darkness was a complete buzz. I had surveyed the water and practised casting over the choicest pools before, so as darkness fell....complete darkness... I managed to fish quite effectively.
Caught nothing on the Avon BTW but got a few browns too as well as sea trout on the Wye.

If you really want to fish with other than fly, try a spinner with lobworm.
I don't know if it's the scent that attracts the fish or that when they take, they taste meat; but it seems to work very well....again, at night!