Barbel mainline and hooklength

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Hello all

I've got a trip to the teme planned in September... most of the river fishing I do tends to be in reasonably sluggigh rivers like the thames, and the biggest fish I'd normally encounter are bream and chub, the biggest I'd realistically expect to have to deal with being around 6lb. Mostly I'm feeder fishing with 6lb mainline and a 4 or 5 pound bottom. Something's telling me this may be a bit undergunned for the main species I'm hoping to encounter on the teme!!

So, what would people's reccomendations be regarding mainline and hooklength - both brands and strengths? I'm thinking probably 10lb daiwa sensor for mainline as I use this (in various strengths) for pretty much all my fishing and I have a great deal of condfidance in it. Also, it sinks well so I would hope that keep everyhing out of the way!

I have to confess to being in about 6 minds about hooklength... I read great things about fluorocarbons (and indeed I use a drennan 3.6lb fluoro for pretty much all of my float fishing and some of my feeder fishing). However, the only larger b/s fluoros I've ever seen have been designed for heavy carp fishing and were very stiff indeed. It struck me that this might not be a great thing whilst fishing a river with reasonable flow.

I also wondered if maybe something high-tec like Reflo Powerline would be a better consideration? The fine diameter to b/s ratio giving it the edge?

Then I wondered about drennan sink braid (which I've used a fair bit carp fishing), thinking it may have the edge in diameter and suppleness....

Then I wondered if I might be heading up a blind alley - after all, get them feeding nicely and they'll hoover up whatever I offer.

So, I'd welcome any thoughts you may have on this subject!!!

cheers
Jim

guest61

Reaction score
Hi Jim

This is what I do.

Main line: I use Maxima 10lb

Hook length: I use some reasonably stiff line like 12lb ESP the BS is more for mechanical stiffness rather than big fish expectancy, I then attach approx 4" of Drennan braid with an 'albright' knot see it here -http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php

The hook is attached to the braid using a 'spade end knot' rather than a knotless knot, the hair can be incorporated into the Tag of the knot if required.

I wouldn't worry too much about looking for an 'edge' - the Barbel in my local River (the welsh Dee) are a bit daft - when they're 'on' they are very easy to catch. I use this in the Severn and Ribble - the Ribble being notoriously bad for 'eating' end tackle and rigs.

This works for me and its relatively cheap too.

Mark

Last edited:

guest61

Reaction score
I suppose that it is, but I started using it after getting frustrated by tangles when using full braid hook lengths. The price of coated braid put me off using this as a hook length, after all you're throwing your rigs into a river - unless stalking individual fish who knows what is down there?

The albright knot came to my attention a few years ago, it seemed ideal to use to make this hook length up - (there's not much that is new). You can make some up and put them on a rig board ahead of your trip.

Mark

sam vimes

Reaction score
I tend not to overcomplicate things when barbel fishing. Mainline is 10lb or 12lb mono in most scenarios unless I'm fishing the Trent where I favour braid mainline. Hooklinks are usually 8 and 10lb Drennan Flurocarbon or Drennan Sink Braid. I tend not to worry unduly about how supple a hooklength is. The rivers I'm fishing usually have decent flow rates and any hooklength is likely to be straightened nicely by that flow.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use several mono's when barbel fishing. I use it in a 12lb mainline either daiwa sensor, fox camo...soft steel or nash bullet for me. They're all pretty cheap and abraison resistant. For my hooklength (if using a short one) I use drennan sink braid or fox graviton. If I use a longer hooklength then again I use several different mono's ...maxima cameleon in 8/ 10lb, daiwa sensor clear in 8lb or 10lb and they always work ok for me :). One thing to remember is that the longer your hooklength the more chance you have of it catching on rocks/ obstacles and being broken off.

dezza

Reaction score
Most of the time when I fished the Trent I used 15 lb Krystonite as main line and 12lb Incognito or Stren Fluorocarbon for hooklengths. But the Trent is a big river with big barbel. It also has a lot of snags.

I have used several barbel rods, all about 1.75 lbs TC. Finally I settled on Harrison Chimera 11.5 footers which I still have and which I doubt if there is a better stick for big river barbel.

If I fished the Maasrivier in Holland I might decide on a 13 footer. A beachcaster suitably modified might not come amiss.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
thanks guys. i've got some esp ghost 10lb fluoro and 10lb sink braid - and 10lb double strength if I want to try a mono hooklength.

I have to confess to being quite excited about this trip! I've ordered a copy of the "teme tigers" dvd to see if that can teach me a thing or two...

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
For most of my Barbel Fishing I use.

12lb GR60

10lb Double strength hooklink

If the swim is snaggy I use a coated Braid of 10lbs.

Bob

Rich P

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

I usually use GR60 in 12lb but have just picked up some P-line Floroclear in 10lb. It's supple, low memory, abrasion resistant and flouro-coated. I've just put it on one of my 'pins and going to try it this week on the Teme.

Hooklength; I use Riverge Grande Max flouro, or coated-braid with a hinge (coating stripped nearly to the hook), depending on conditions.

Good luck on the Teme - I went twice last season, in August for 2 days and March for 3 days. Great fishing in August, but nothing in March. I don't think I was the only one :)

Beautiful river, however, and the Tigers are equal to their reputation.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
The river where we're staying looks absolutely mint... near Tunbury Wells. If the barbel aren't playing, I'm also packing a float rod and pin for anything with fins that wants a maggot or three.

If that doesn't work, there's some interesting looking lakes locally.

Rich, I hope you're going to wait until thursday :)

Tight lines all - i will be starting on the thames.... and the 16th june still has me all a quiver (like it did when I was 10!)

Jim

quickcedo

Reaction score
If the Teme where you are going is anything like the bit I fish it seems to have become quite "swimmy" over the last few years. If so, travel as light as you can and be prepared to move and move again. Most of my fish have come within a foot of the near bank so don't miss trying there.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Mark, sounds like it will make sense to approach the river carefully then...

I'm trying to keep everrything in perspective... I don't expect to simply turn up, chuck out a feeder and hey presto! - barbel.... However, I did spend a lot of time as a kid on the river ock in Abingdon which taught me a lot about how to approach a smaller river where the fish could be visible but equally will spook quickly. Sometimes, 20 minutes (or more) just watching the fish and seeing what their reaction is to a freebie or two would be the key to unlocking the swim... if you'd just rocked up, seen the fish and then cast at them you'd almost certainly lose them (this was a lesson learnt the hard way!)

It's been a long while since I've tackled a river like this and I'm really looking forward to it...

Rich P

Reaction score
Jim - ha ha....yes, waiting until the 16th. Just going down early to suss a few swims, as it's the first time I've fished the stretch :)

Reaction score
Jim, having fished the Teme a fair amount whilst living in Shropshire...don't be in a hurry to get your gear in the water...looking and feeding for at least 30 minutes..if not a bit more is generally more profitable.

Have a great time..it's been to long since I've been down there...its a deffo for this season

R

Royffey

personally i fish fishers green all year through and most evenings of the week everyweek for barbel and use 12lb pro gold as mainline throughout the entire season, through to a 12.5lb b/s grandmax(reverge) say 12inches attached to a 2-3 inch drennan sink braid 12lb b/s.. i attach the 2 together by tying a neat figure of 8 knot to a mini rig swivel at each end... the combi-link set up in this way has yet to fail on me.... even in heavy flood conditions.