Beaten on my own patch...

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

And you want me to come fishing with you?
You can stick your crabs back up where you got them from.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Earlier today I went on the 'Duck' tour round Liverpool (A WW2 boat/wheeled landing craft). We were accompanied by a well behaved bunch of accompanied kids out on a trip. The guide at one point asked what 'Scousers' were called before they were known as 'Scousers' and one of the little guys (a wee Scouser himself) chirps up with...

...'Thugs?'

The guide nearly wet himself.

leon wolszczak

Reaction score
what were scousers called before they were scousers? i have heard they had another nick name

C

Colin North, the one and only

According to the online Oxford Dictionary itis:-

noun 1 the dialect or accent of people from Liverpool. 2 (also Scouser) a person from Liverpool.

adjective relating to Liverpool.

— ORIGIN abbreviation of lobscouse, a stew formerly eaten by sailors.

/forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

" what were scousers called before they were scousers? i have heard they had another nick name"

SCALLIES - short for Scallywags. The name comes from London where it was originally Scullyvag (a shortened version of 'scurrilous vagrant'), but it arrived in Liverpool and they couldn't pronounce it that well. So it became Scallywag. The city is still full of scallies today.

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

scousers before they were scousers mmmmm how about "the accused"

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
There was another name, scouse is based on the stew like Colin says but prior to this there was another name.

I have found this:

'****y Sam: earlier term than Scouser for a Liverpudlian, ****y Sam is understood to be a corruption of **** O'Sam's derived from the Lancashire form of the patronymic. It refers to someone born and bred in Liverpool, within the sounds of the bells of St, Nicholas,.the waterfront parish church there. There is a record of one Richard Samuels, landlord of an old sailortown pub called the ****y Sam Inn, which used to be on Mann Island, near the Pier Head.L'

Nicked from here.

But that was not what I was thinking of.