how to make bread paste

Sgt Bash

Reaction score
Great article Andrew, very informative. I love fishing with flake so this article caught my eye straight away. Usually make paste with the old soaking and rolling technique as you explained in the article and it is a lottery as to it hook holding properties.

I will try the oil method out this weekend, I will make a bit with salmon oil and a little with hemp oil and have a go. I have tried cheese paste made from flaky pastry and cheese in winter and had some success, but adding the oil sounds just right for this time of year giving out a good food signal with the oil slick, might add a dash of hutchys monster crab to pep it up.

Anyway you have got me thinking a bit more using bread as a bait, thanks.

john tuck

Reaction score
i have found a good idea for paste also it will blend with just about anything with a bit of moisture i recently tried it with cat meat to make paste simplicity in itself goldenfry breadcrumbs (goldenfry is the brand name in an orange tubular tub i get mine from asda )and for 50p you can make a fair batch up. just put whatever ingredint you are going to make your paste of ie catmeat etc into a food mixer as soon as it is whizzed to a pulp just gradually add your goldenfry till it starts to bind and the jobs done keeps well in freezer to give it a go its great stuff has a putty like consistancy g-r-e-a-t

Deanos

Reaction score
John,
When using flavoured paste as a hook bait, what would you use as a loose feed or attractor?
I mainly fish the rivers, and fancy having a go with your idea maybe using liver pate in the paste for the chub, any tips mate?

john tuck

Reaction score
deano as i said the paste freezes and keeps well so when i make a batch up i make tiny pellets with it bit tedious but affective they sink well and hold the fish well as i say a bit tedious but worth it once the fish are on it i use it with loose fed mags too . let me know how you get on mate

C

Clive Evans 1

Nice article Andrew.

John T, good idea mate. how do you make your pellets?

Deano. its worth remembering that tinned catfood, (inc liver) often have flavour and smell enhancers that improve their attractiveness.

F

Frank Bristow

Great article Andrew and the replies are informative as well nice one

james nevill

Reaction score
Hi, some great tips there mate, some will be put to use tommorow.
I'm a pleasure angler, so try not to spend much money on tackle and baits,so bread baits are perfect.
One great trick ive found with bread paste's is fish food,as in gold fish type flakes ect, mixed into the paste when kneding,i dont use any oils, just water.
The one ive found best is Tetra baby powder food and sinking cichlid food(forgoten the name).
Last time i used the baby powder, I had the next angler down stream to me say his swim had gone dead 10mins after i started baiting.
I'm not saying its some super bait, as some days it does better then others, but its worth a go, gold fish flakes are 99p.