over complicating angling

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Are we in danger of making fishing seem to complicated to the beginner?

Mags would have us believe that to catch good fish you need the latest super bait , top of the range tackle and complex ste up

the 3 nights this week I've been fishing for 2 hours per night 7:30 till 9:30 and caught carp to about 8 or 9 lb, roach and bream and I've fished a straight wagggler float with most od the shot round the float and just a couple of drop shot, bread as hook bait and fedd sweetcorn - I've used about 1/2 of a loaf of bread and a 1 1/2 tins of sweet corn

On avaerage I've spent about 50p per night on bait (using the cheapest bread and sweetcorn) and caught 4 or 5 carp per night.

Nothing clear about the rigs, size 10 hook on 6lb line, 8 lb main line

but you never see this in the mags - it's not glamourus enough

chav professor

Reaction score
Good point Your Lordship (Its hard typing after the pub!) - if it hasn't got loads of sponsored bits of pieces on the terminal tackle - it looks a waste of time.

How can you make freelining l;ook good in a magazine - a Hook and a bit of line. Thats water craft - can't get that from a magazine..... or buy it from a wbsite or tackle shop....
#Enogh drunken ramblings....

rains

Reaction score
Are we in danger of making fishing seem to complicated to the beginner?

Mags would have us believe that to catch good fish you need the latest super bait , top of the range tackle and complex ste up

the 3 nights this week I've been fishing for 2 hours per night 7:30 till 9:30 and caught carp to about 8 or 9 lb, roach and bream and I've fished a straight wagggler float with most od the shot round the float and just a couple of drop shot, bread as hook bait and fedd sweetcorn - I've used about 1/2 of a loaf of bread and a 1 1/2 tins of sweet corn

On avaerage I've spent about 50p per night on bait (using the cheapest bread and sweetcorn) and caught 4 or 5 carp per night.

Nothing clear about the rigs, size 10 hook on 6lb line, 8 lb main line

but you never see this in the mags - it's not glamourus enough
Lets face it the mags or sites are paid to say this its all advertizing

barbelboi

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Totally agree with you Paul – caught most of my tench this year on Jolly Green Giant which is somewhat cheaper than the frenzied tackle shop versions:w[/FONT]

dezza

Reaction score
Nowt wrong with Jolly Green Giant. I like scopex flavour for tench, buy a bottle and put a tiny amount into your corn.

I happened to buy some super duper flavoured corn this week at £1.75 a can. Most of the grains were unhookable.

I'm off out now to get some bits to start barbel fishing.

noknot

Reaction score
JGG is way too good for fish, I just buy "own" brand for bait, also I find it is tougher and rigs/hooks well...

Bluenose

Reaction score
Interesting point m'lud. Funny enough I was reading a book on tench fishing last night and in the chapter on bait the author was singing the praises of maggots, corn and ............bread.

As a kid all my better fish and many memorable sessions on stillwaters came on bread yet I cannot remember the last time I used it on a stillwater!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
The essence of angling is the same as it has ever been. Just a piece of line with a hook on one end and an idiot on the other.

We often don't just over complicate things for beginners. But for ourselves also, the're fish, not candidates for Mensa.

dalesman

Reaction score
And its not just bait, a mate of mine who is trying to introduce his young sons to the sport and teach them river craft. He been trying to purchace 12' 3pc float rods for them. So they can fish both rivers and ponds. Yeah he can buy over the web but he wants to see what he is buying.

And the number of shops he has been he been offered compact rods and poles, but they dont stock a good old waggler rod. He said one shop assistant said no body fishs river much these days when they catch carp all day from commercials.

John Sayers

Reaction score
Well said your lordship.
Personally i havn't bought any major new kit except line, hooks etc. for 30 years and baits mainly bread(in various forms), corn and worms a little hemp, tares ,stewed wheat, maggots/casters. none of this costs very much.
But it seems the older i get the more fish i catch, why is this do you think?.
I have written to several mags suggesting they should have more articles on the basics but it seems they don't want to hear what an git wants to say, no profit in it i suppose.

little oik

Reaction score
I certainly find it easier to catch fish now than when I was younger .This day an age you need a degree in engineering to work out half of these new rigs and all the variations that need to be added because the fish are wiseing up to them.Keep it simple and they will not have the savvy to realise its not a double hinged peeled back popped up nailed to the bottom bolt rig so they will get fooled :wh :wh