going for 1 days fishing

A

adriano

why do we take half the house with us when were out for a one day fishing sesion on the rive bank,

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

The thing we decide to leave at home is probably the very thing we will need mate.

I did one overnight session last week. It took me three hours to get set up and put my bait in. Then I cast my first rod out. It took a lot of preperation for me I can tell you.

Andrew Turton

Reaction score
Every time I look at all the gear I take and decide to cut it right down to what I will really need, I end up with my rod holdall and seat box weighing more than it did before. And yes I really do need all those little gadgets and fiddly bits I always seem to leave the tackle shop with.
Ho hum, one day I will just go with a small rucksack and 1 rod, One day.

B

Bill Cox

"why do we take half the house with us when were out for a one day fishing sesion on the rive bank,"

Stupidity ??

G

Geoff Cowen

I always get my gear to the bank side and the first things I set up are my landing net and rods get them fishing and then start getting all the other stuff ready. Cannot see a good reason for wasting time getting fishing. Even if you haven't baited up there is always a chance of a fish finding your bait, it won?t if it?s on the bank.
Yes I do take to much tackle and bait with me just like everyone else, particularly bait. Always take tins of this and that must make a change but it?s so difficult to leave stuff behind.

J

Jeremy Preston

I always find I realise that I've brought far too much stuff on the long treck back to the car in the evening....it never seems quite so heavy first thing in the morning.....

G

Geoff Cowen

Have you noticed that it never goes back into the car the same as it came out; you always seem to be twice as much.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

And you want to smell my car after a few days fishing - Uuurgghh!!

W

William Spencer

the reason we take too much is because we have too much.the night before i go for a day trip i sort out what i will need into either my seatbox or caryall or rucksack.then i take the rest just in case.
i will admit i do take too much.i remember reading about a guy who died about ten years ago on his way to fish a match,he'd drawn a flier peg that warranted a walk of about a mile at beeston.poor guy had that much tackle he had an heart attack.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
When I know I have'nt too far to lugg my box and gear I am just as bad as most, but I have forced myself to be more discerning about what I take with me. But when I go stalking or suspect I might move around a few swims I take just one made up rod ( a John Wilson Avon ) and landing net in a roving quiver, plus a stool/bag with all the bits and pieces I REALLY need and leave the rest at home. If I've forgotten it, too bad, but I still catch most times.

mike Gibson

Reaction score
Reason we take to much is because we have too much!

Be ruthless! I take a rucksack/seat combo, 12' general purpose rod with a tip ring that can take a quiver tip, couple of rod rests, reel with spools of two and five pound line, a few floats, landing net, baits, a few legers, copuple of feeders, , disgorger hooks and shot. All fit in the rucksack with room to spare for sarnies, flask and waterproofs.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Exactly my point Mike. For health reasons I am no longer able to haul huge amounts of tackle long distances and that forces you to fish in different way, non the less enjoyable than carrying a box and platform, carryall and up to six differnt rods/poles.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Through necessity I have lightened what I take with me now down to the minimum but I can float fish a river using any float or I can tackle barbel and chub. I have a float tube with two of each weight wagglers, stick floats 4 no.4 to 8 no.4, chubbers and avons, a selection of leads and half a dozen feeders in a plastic bag. Bits and pieces are in a double sided clear box about 8in x 5in that holds everything I need. I also carry a set of Berkeley scales that weight about 2oz a weigh net and a couple of towels. This plus a few things like shot and forceps are in the side pockets, altogether probably weighing about a couple of pounds and all I need for a days fishing.

Its all the 'just in case stuff' and 'you never know when you might need it' stuff that you accumulate over the years that adds the weight. How many of you take every rod you own in a rod bag and even a pole sometimes knowing that you are going to fish one feeder rod for barbel. I take a quiver with two made up rods one for float and one avon for feeder work. 50 feeders and 50 assorted leads weigh a hell of a lot and most times you only use one or two. Crazy innit?

mike Gibson

Reaction score
Some good points from Peter and Graham. Another advantage of travelling light is that you can easily move swims if, after an hour or so it becomes apparent that you would be better off further along teh bank.

In my early days I took nearly every item of kit I had with me and inevitably tackled up in the first available swim closest to to the car park. Many was the time when after judicious groundbaiting, and experimenting with different depths, rigs and baits it became obvious that the fish were not there. However, the thought of humping a heavy box, brolly and two, three or even four rods a few hundred yards meant I inevitably stayed put and I ended up blanking, or scratching around for tiddlers.

J

Jeremy Preston

Last time I was out I thought my rod bag was feeling on the heavy side...didn't check until I got home, but I'd been lugging two bloomin' brollies around with me!!