Kids catching carp on whips

Steve Weaver

Reaction score
Hi
I recently bought the kids (aged 5 and 8) a couple of 4m whips to use at a local pond. Much easier than a rod and they've done very well...too well! My son(5) has landed a 1lb carp and my daughter(8) carp up to 7.5lb. The latter was a bit close for comfort on a 4m whip with 3lb hooklength. How easy is it to convert to having some elastic and what would be involved - is it something I could do myself? What would I need to buy?
Thanks
Steve

E

EC

Not knowing your financial circumstances Steve, I would suggest that you buy them a pole each/between them.

You dont have to spend a fortune but a whip is primarily for snatching small fish quickly, bigger fish can be caught on them as your kids have proved but
have a look at stuff like this and also this page has a few more including a whip specifically for carp.

You could convert it by sawing off part of the tip, and if it is hollow passing elastic thro the top section, but whips are designed not to be elasticated in general and often have solid glass or carbon tips.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Steve,

I'd agree totally with Eddie on this.

A whip is not intended to be elasticated and indeed the; design, construction and materials really will not support elastication.

Better to start them off with a cheap pole which is designed for the job.

That said, I'd be tempted to give them both a lot more experience with small fish on the whip before going off into 'carp-land'

Steve Weaver

Reaction score
Hi Peter / Eddie
It was my intention to let them catch lots of small roach / perch so we're fishing 6-7ft out with maggots. The carp seem to keep finding us - bizarre! I had to fish for years as a kid to catch anything this size.
Now we are getting larger fish it seems a shame to try a different venue to avoid them. All good expoerience for the kids to learn how to play something bigger
That said I will take the advice offrered and look at a cheap elasticated pole. Probably just one to start - bet the carp go for the whip bait every time ;)
Steve