Thousands of fish killed

I

Ian Cloke

Thousands of fish killed
A MAJOR investigation has been launched after cooking oil, raw batter and a detergent were twice dumped in the River Ribble, killing thousands of fish.

Anglers have this week branded the pollution a "catastrophe" after dozens of sea trout, salmon and other river fish and insects died over the weekend.
The waste was first dumped on Thursday night in a road drain on the A59, near Smithies Bridge, Chatburn, and flowed into Swanside Beck in Sawley.
Anglers raised the alarm when they noticed the river had turned milky-white. Emergency officers from the Environment Agency arrived at the scene and built a small dam to stop the pollution from spreading, but further dumping on Friday evening, down the same drain, saw the dam breached, poisoning thousands of fish.
A massive clean-up operation was launched by officers from the agency, who spent the entire weekend battling to contain the incident. A tanker was positioned at Sawley to pump out the pollution and oxygen was pumped into the River Ribble helping the remaining fish to survive. Meanwhile, people were being advised not to enter the river in the Clitheroe area, nor touch any dead fish, which were floating on the surface, until given the all-clear. Scientists are this week continuing to analyse the fish and water samples in the agency's laboratory, however, it is understood that the polluting discharge has now stopped.
Mr Fred Higham, chairman of Ribblesdale Angling Association and pollution officer for Ribble Fisheries Consultative described the incident as the "worst deliberate act of pollution" he had ever witnessed.
"Not only fish have been lost, but undoubtedly much aquatic river life has also been wiped out. It breaks my heart when I see crows ripping into dying fish."
The latest pollution incident comes three weeks after an unknown substance was leaked into Barrow Brook, killing hundreds of trout, eels and other fish and insects. At the time, someone illegally emptied a tanker into a road drain on the A59 ? about 300 yards north of the A671 roundabout ? which caused the deadly pollution in the waterway.
Although officers from the organisation are unable to say at this stage whether or not both incidents are linked, they are "almost certain" that the same polluter twice dumped the waste.
A spokesman for the Environment Agency said: "We are fairly certain that the substance, which leaked into the river on Thursday and Friday of last week, was liquid food waste which on further investigations has been revealed to be cooking oil, raw batter and a detergent, possibly bleach. We can also say that the illegal waste had been dumped twice by the same person.
"Pouring any polluting substance down an ordinary drain can obviously cause serious problems. We are appealing to members of the public to be extra vigilant. Should they spot anyone illegally dumping waste into road drains, we would urge them to call our 24-hour freephone hotline number on 0800 807060."
03 August 2006

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I was thinking along them lines myself mate.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

or a chinese chippy ......I reported a Chinese chippy near me to the Council for pouring stuff (fat/grease and some sort of red coloured stuff that smelt like aniseed)down a grid/drain in the entry at the back of the shop but nothing was ever done about it ---I can't check now as alley gates have been fitted and I can't get down the entry to have a look ....but I will get my chance sometime --if someone leaves the alley gates open .....

C

Christian Tyroll

Heard about a ice cream water boat on the Thames, he used to dump all the old cones and ice cream in the river. When he was confronted by someone he looked at them as if he was stupid.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Hope it's not a restaraunt with a Greek chef.

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

If I catch em' the basteward(s) are going swimming with my foot on their head.

Bubble, bubble, bubble, oh dear no more bubbles........Fish food!

Lee Swords

Reaction score
its a dodgey waste oil collection company

Raw butter?

liquid butter....Ghee?

disgraceful behaviour, I worked with a chef who routinely disposed of oil in this way,,,He had no inkling of the potential damage that he could cause.

Education education education and if that fails then a custodial sentence is warrented

E

EC

How easy is it to prove Lee?

Do the perpetrators dump the stuff down the drains on their own premises or do they transport it and do it elsewhere?

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Its almost impossible Eddie a lot of the time in kitchens they will simply turn the hot tap on let it run to warm the pipes and chuck the old oil down the sink mixed with fairy liquid

E

EC

Scuse the ignorance here Lee, but could just one restaurant have such a massive effect?

Would they do this daily, weekly, monthly or what?