pike fishing

C

Chris Bishop

There's quite a bit of info on here on the basics.

Different things work on different days.

If you're new to it the simplest thing to start with is deadbaiting.

Works on most waters but you need the right tackle and some idea of how to handle and unhook the fish when you catch them.

Whereabouts are you from..?

I ask only because the PAC (Pike Anglers Club) has branches all over the place and if there's one near you they may have regular meetings/slide shows or have an RO (regional organiser) you can contact who''ll arrange you a day out with someone experienced who'll show you the basic rigs, bite indication, fish handling/unhooking etc.

There's more info on the club here:

Pike Anglers Club

If you look down the left hand side there's quite a bit on rigs, basic handling etc.

There are plenty of people on this forum happy to advise, look through the threads as there's a lot of info in the archives.

keora

Reaction score
Frozen sardines are a consistent performer, although keeping them on the hook can be difficult into you get the knack - put the upper treble hook into the wrist of the sardines tail, about a quarter inch from where the fin rays start. This area has firm flesh and the tail end of the backbone.

Other good baits are small frozen mackerel, pollan, small herring.

Matty C

Reaction score
I wouldnt say Im a great pike angler as I dont really target them much (even though I should do as I like the species), so I wouldnt know which is the best bait, but with regards to keeping them on the hook, Ive always found that some bait elastic does the trick.. just put the bait on the trebles as you would normally, then wrap some bait elastic around the fish and the wire trace inbetween the two trebles, finishing with a half hitch around the tail..

Some of you purists out there might frown n say it impares presentation, which you might be right.. but if casting any reasonable distance, it sometimes comes in handy..

Reaction score
Emlyn,

I tend to wait until later in the season (first frosts) for deadbait fishing but sardines are one of my favourites along with smelt (mmm... cucumbers), with mackerel, lamprey or trout in reserve for long or repetitive casts (tough as old boots).

Make sure that your bite indication is very sensitive, especially at this time of year and be prepared for a lively fish on the bank. You'll need a good sized, well-padded mat as well as all the proper gear for unhooking.

As Chris says please try and get some experienced help if you are new to piking. The handling methods are quite diferent to other coarse fish and despite their fearsome looks they are very very delicate fish. Pike Handling

Good luck!