I visited a disabled anglers lake yesterday.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Yesterday I accompanied a disabled angler to a lake run by the disabled anglers association. The lake is about three miles south of Bath hidden away in the depths of the countryside and very difficult to find, it is also completely surrounded by trees and very picturesque.

Roughly 2 to 2.5 acres semi circular in shape and containing approximately 25 pegs (though I never counted them) all with ample solid concrete platforms. It holds decent roach, I had one a good pound to a pound and a quarter, tench, bream, perch to over 2lbs, crucian carp and ordinary common and mirror carp.

It really is a lovely little lake and the bonus is, the fish are right under your rod tip, no need for casting and therefore a distinct advantage to the handicapped. Able bodied are only allowed to fish if they accompany a disabled person and are responsible for them whilst they are fishing. It must be a boon for those disabled guys and a credit to the organisers who take the time to organise fishing and patrol it, offer help moving gear and setting up and seem to have the time to chat to all of them, they deserve a medal.

I noted one old chap who appeared to be having a heyday with the carp and after packing up I asked him about it. He had caught steadily and the biggest carp he'd caught was 18lb and you would never guess what he caught them on - peas! No not chick peas which is the conclusion I jumped to but ordinary Tesco's tinned garden peas, one tin per session is ample he said for feed and hookers, and here was me thinking the bubbles were tench too!

J

john ledger

Good to hear that Graham,just remember those bubbles in your bath might not be tench

I

Ian Cloke

What's the lake called Graham? Has it got a website?

It sounds a fantastic place, and worthy of a mention on some other sites;-)

B

Bill Cox

The club i'm secretary of has opened a new lake which we built from scratch and all the pegs and and paths have been built with disabled access in mind. Its been open about twelve months and i have been pleasently surprised at the amount of disabled anglers who have joined the club purely on the strength of this lake. We have recently given permission to a local school for mentally handicapped children to have free access to the lake anytime during weekdays. They are in the process of setting up an outing to the lake. I say this not to have praise heaped upon the club but to point out to other angling associations that there is obviously a very real need for disabled facilities. Giving people a reduced membership is not really the answer if only a couple of token pegs are fishable.

C

Chris Bishop

I think they should certainly get reduced of not free membership Bill.

They mostly live on benefits and fishing can give so much to people living with even quite profound disabilities.

There's money there in the form of grants to help make waters more accessible.

No excuse for clubs not to do it.

I

Ian Cloke

Bill, where is this lake you telk of mate? This one could do with a bit more publicity aswell;-)

B

Bill Cox

Its actually law now Chris to take all reasonable steps to provide access even to existing waters.

B

Bill Cox

Its at Ivybridge in devon Ian and its called Filham park lake. Fishable on a club ticket and also on a day ticket available from the club or the local tackle shop.

B

Bill Cox

I,m only responsible for one of them Ian, www.padcaccarp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk (we also have a general info site and a news site which is mostly slanted towards match fishing. Working as much as i do i do the best i can with mine but time always wins.

I

Ian Cloke

Thankyou very much to Graham & Bill, if it's alright with you guys I will post a bit abut the fisheries on a couple of other forums?
Bill, I was only messing , re the website;0)