bass on lures

C

cojo

i,ve been doing a bit of lure fishing along the north devon coast with mixed results using floating rapalas has any one had any sucess using surface lures ive spent plenty of evenings churning the surface to a froth
without so much as a follow.Could any one give me any advice on using these lures best conditions, times, state of tide etc.
cheers...

D

Del

Bass fishing has been very poor all round apart from the odd lucky so and so this season.

Kevin West

Reaction score
South West coast of Ireland -
surface lures = 0 Bass
Wedges (old and battered) = 2 Bass
'Pilchard' silver ( ?1.50) = lots :)

Best times round here flooding evening tide.

Even if you aren't catching lure fishing is still better that watching a rod tip..... most of the time.

Fishinggypsy

Reaction score
Hi Cojo,
I think my first bit of advice would be to gain as much local information as you can about the your targeted area.Go down to these areas at different states of the tide and in different weather conditions,and by fishing these small windows will you start to build a picture, this can take a considerable time and once you have gained this valuable information be carefull not to give it away as next time you go down to your favourite mark there will be a net set or a boat working your area.Be very very very carfull about who you talk to and stop fishing at any site of boats coming inshore as i can speak from plenty of experiences,thats why i now go coarse fishing.

M

MarkTheSpark

Cojo. Floating divers in minnow patterns, jointed or otherwise, are standard stuff or bassing - pay more attention to your locations and you'll start catching eventually.

Also try neutral buoyancy lures like Countdowns, and lures with rubber tails which work well. Even the old Redgill, suitably weighted, is a pretty good lure.

As I say, it's all about location. Look for places with strong currents and fish the creases and especially the shallows (even if that's just two feet deep!), and don't forget to run your lures as close to rocks and obstructions as you dare.

Also, try beaches, casting just a few breakers out.

Oh, and dawn and dusk are the best times - an hour before the sun rises and an hour after the best time of all.