Hundreds of fish die in canal

I

Ian Cloke

THE extreme heat has claimed the lives of hundreds of fish in the Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal.

Dead fish have been seen on a two-and-a-half mile stretch from Elton reservoir in Bury to Ladyshore in Little Lever.

Joanne Sheppard, spokesman for the Environment Agency, said it was not uncommon for fish to die at this time of year: "The hot weather has caused the water temperature to go up and the oxygen levels have gone down. The water levels are shallow and in this weather the fish will suffer."

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

Ironic this, as Elton is the feeder res for the canal. Open sluice valves and put oxygenated water into it. BW own both and know the problems.
Its not Rocket science BW!

T

The Monk

yes quite right Phil, of interest there are plans afoot to try to reopen the canal, the correct name being the Salford junction, Bury and Bolton canal, but quite a lot of work needs doing on the staircases at Salford Junction as the canal climbs out of the Irwell and the prestolee flight which used to join the salford junction section with the Bury Bolton section, I think the aquaduct is missing at Great/Little Lever too?

P

Paul Christie

Phil

One big problem is that there's very little water in the Resevoir. It's the lowest I've ever seen it in the 30 years I've fished it. I think doing that would then create a problem for the Res.

I heard unofficially that they have been lowering the level, with a view to carrying out some repairs to the wall.

I think the main problem on the canal is that it's absolutely choked bank to bank with really thick weed, which is taking further oxygen from it.

The same happened on a smaller scale last year and they came down and put a dredger on there and cleared a channel through the weed. It was back the same within a month or so.

It needs sorting out properly, but the long awaited re-vamp seems no nearer than when it was announced several years ago.

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

Paul
It strikes me as somewhat poor planning, if what you say is true, on the part of BW to plan and start preparatory work (lowering of the water level) during the summer months. Given we?ve had several dry winters, hot summers and predictions are for more of the same due to climate change.

Such work one would think should be carried out in the autumn to avoid the conditions you describe.

When I said let some water off the reservoir, I was not talking feet but 2 or 3 inches, given the size of Elton approx 70 acres, probably down to 40 now due to the work or evaporation. That amount of water run off the res would have little impact on it, but would be enough to boosted the O2 level to acceptable levels for fish to survive in the canal.

Regarding the weed in the canal.
Whilst the canal is badly silted up and weeded, the weed does not present a problem per se to the fish and O2 reduction. Weed during daylight hours does respire O2, and conversely CO2 during darkness. Under normal conditions, which we haven?t had for the last month (hot weather), it?s the heat that has reduced the O2 level below what is survivable for the fish and intervention measures need to be taken.
Had BW managed any project work they may be carrying out better, taking cognisance of the above, the fish loss wouldn?t have happened.

As I said it?s not Rocket science Paul, but clearly beyond the thinking process of BW, which doesn?t surprise me in the least.

P

Paul Christie

Phil

I only heard the maintenance theory from a local bird watcher, so I couldn't swear to it being correct. But, something must be going on because it was the lowest I'd seen it in June, even after we'd had a wet May.

I am sure you are right and they haven't taken any precautions to prevent this. As I said it happened on a smaller scale last year and they responded too late, but they ought to have been aware of the dangers of a repeat this summer.

A few inches from the resevoir may not seem much in the scheme of things, but it might be enough to now completely dry up the area in front of the boat club, which is one of the shallowest parts.

I heard the sailing club were very un-happy with the level and that any further loss of water would jeopordise the security of the sailing equipment which would then be accessible from dry land. I think they have been pressing BW about it, so perhaps they have had some sway with BW?