Pressured Fish

Ginger

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a few tips on rigs and baits for pressured Barbel.
The river is really low and clear at the present time and i`m really struggling to get bites.
Any suggestions?

B

Bully

...or hemp, or maggot. I think Tonys real point is you need to be patient, feed regularly and lots, even to the extent of pre-baiting for a number of hours before casting in.......especially just before dusk???

Also, get where the oxygen is (ie not low or slow) or even, dont bother. You could argue now is a time to leave pressurised fish alone.

Ginger

Reaction score
Bully, the problem with maggot is that i get plagued by small fish.
Good point about " now is the time to leave pressurised fish alone " the club has already closed one stretch because of the current conditions.Fish welfare has to be number one priority.

T

Tony Rocca

Yes Ginger you will get plagued, I just carry on regardless, when the small fish go quiet you usually know whats coming next.

S

Sean Meeghan

Keep the rod top low, use a long hook length, use a string of shot instead of a lead, use back leads.

Keep low, move quietly, no loud noises.

All these are just as important as your bait and how you present it.

P

paul williams 2

Why fish for pressured barbel in low clear conditions.....it's expensive and /or frustrating.....wait till later in the year!

There is angling beyond barbel?

Summer roach on hemp/tares?
Stalking chub/carp
Tench
eel
etc etc..........lifes to short for just barbel! :)

P

paul williams 2

I know Tony, and i have spent more than my fair share of challanging fishing......but have you tried getting a gallon of decent caster on spec nowadays........and then paying for them! :(

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Leave the barbel alone for a few months and catch something else.

There are some nice roach to be caught in many rivers.

Ginger

Reaction score
Went to the river at the weekend,decided not to fish but spent the day looking for fish and "good" swims for later in the season.
Thanks all for the tips and advice,we don`t have many rivers down here that hold Barbel ( 120 mile round trip ) and this is my first season on this stretch,so i`ve been itching to get out there.
4 trips so far this season and 4 blanks.
Just my luck that we`ve had the hottest and driest summer for years.
I suppose i`ll just have to be patient and pray for rain.

Ginger

Reaction score
I live in Shoeburyness, near Southend-on Sea ( Essex ).
The river i`m trying to fish this year is the River Lee ( Cemex Angling ) Fishers Green.
I`ve fished the upper reaches of the Chelmer for many years,some good Chub and Roach but no Barbel, a good river for roving but fancied a new challenge this season.
Might have been a mistake, it`s certainly not an easy venue.

B

Bully

Its not, I tried for 3 years!! However it is worth persevering with....

Simon K

Reaction score
Maybe you should ask me Ginge, since I'm a bailiff there???!

If you follow the Barbel Re-Stocking thread on the "other" forum that's currently winding a few of the regulars up (ho ho), you'll see everything you need to know about catching Barbel (and Chub) on the venue in all conditions.

People moan about "declining fish & fishing", but the truth is they aint got much of an adaptable nature and many of them don't possess much watercraft. They still want to catch 10 5lb-ers a session on a water that's now changed over the years to a Specimen Fishery. Hence why the most popular swims are those closest to the Car Parks. I ask you!

Low & Clear? Massed particles is right. No need to buy more than 2 pts maggots tho', bulk the rest out in cheaper hemp. Fish rubber grubs on the hook. Alternatively, try small (even fake) pellet, with a few freebies in the baitdropper. If you can fish thru to dark, boilies/big pellet will still score, you just have to be patient.

It helps if you can see the swim-bed, you'll know with a couple of baitdroppers and 20 minutes whether you're "On Fish". If you're not.........move!

Hope this helps?

B

Bully

Ginger - Simon says it all. Don't expect it to be a "bagging" water. In fact that's what makes it such an enjoyable challenge. I haven't fished it for 3 years now, and I targeted the chub. But yes, you get your fair share of blanks....well I did!

Ginger

Reaction score
Simon, thanks for the reply,i`ve been following the "other" thread since it started,it seems some anglers just want you to tell them which swims to fish, which baits to use, what time of day etc.
I was surprised that Bob posted his swim "Bible", all those years of hard work and effort that he and others have put in will now give instant access to less comitted anglers.
I`ve met a couple of bailiffs on my first few visits,one guy in particular ( Geoff ) was really helpful and friendly, sat with me for about 20 minutes and told me how the fishery has changed over the last 10 years.
Looking forward to my first fish and will continue trying different swims and baits,must add that everyone i`ve met (anglers and non anglers)have been really friendly,seems to be a good bunch on there.

Bully, thanks for your reply,didn`t expect it to be a bagging venue but i must admit i wasn`t expecting 4 blanks in a row.
Makes me realise my watercraft is not as good as i thought it was.
Never to old to learn.

Simon K

Reaction score
Hope you made a copy of Bob's "Swim Bible" and my "How to do it" posts? Cos they've pulled the thread now. (God only knows why?)

The whole point that Bob & I were making was that most anglers there (especially the ones who constantly blank and moan about the river) don't approach it for what it is.......a Specimen Water. They think they can take their normal "bagging" methods (lumps of spam over hemp in clear conditions, yawn, etc etc) and catch.

It aint like that there. You have to use some common. Pin your line, only use boilies/pellet in coloured water (or at dusk) and so on.

I started off by reading Miles/West's "Quest For Barbel". Guess what? The Barbel at the Green are in exactly the sorts of spots they describe. I was lucky enough to catch straight away and haven't stopped. I've also been lucky enough to have Bob as a Mentor, but his best help has mostly been in refining our rigs to give us an edge. We feed ideas off each other.

Be open minded at the Green. If something isn't working.....change it. That's what we do. And don't get caught up in the Realtree Brigade's approach! Just use a decent pair of polaroids and try different swims where you can see/recognise the features. Keep it simple to start with, if you can see what you're bait/rig's doing on the bottom, you can learn a lot. Especially when 2 to 5 doubles turn up for a feast. That's how I saw one rocket off after it missed the bait and felt the stiff fluoro. It had previously been ignoring the large baitdropper being dropped on it's nose for the last hour and a half!