Hook sizes

rains

Reaction score
Hi all i was wondering what size hooks you all use for the different species of fish you target

Roach
Perch
Bream
Tench
Carp
Pike

Your imput would be great thanks rains

quickcedo

Reaction score
Not a specific answer I know but. The hook must be suitable for the bait as much as for the species of fish. Also the weight of the hook may have to be factored in, dependant on style of fishing.
ie, Roach, I have caught Roach on hooks varying from 22 to 8

bangme33

Reaction score
i use as follows

roach size 22 to 20
perch size 18 to 16
bream size 14 to 12
tench 14 to 12
carp 12 to 10
pike trebles 8
all hooks are barbless except the trebel which are semi barbed

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 ----------

but as mark todd says is right ............ u can bring a carp in with a size 24 hook

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'd go with Mark's answer - match the hook to the bait

For most of my fishing I use 18, 16 for baits such a maggot, sweetcorn, bread punch - the size of a 16 hook can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer

For carp then I'll fish pellet, boilie or flaoting bread then it's 12,10 and 8 depending o nthe size of the bait

dezza

Reaction score
Roach.......20 to 10
Perch........16 to 6
Bream........16 to 8
Tench .......16 to 6
Carp..........10 to 4
Pike..........for deadbaits 8 - 6 trebles the size of hooks on lures can vary from 6 to 2/0
Barbel........14 to 6
chub..........18 to 4
Dace.........18 to 20
Rudd..........16 to 10

I have never felt the need to use a hook smaller than a 20 spade end for single maggots or casters.

michaels

Reaction score
Much the same answer as Mark, with size option guidance as Ron has stated. The only thing I`ll add, is for the past 5-6 years, I`ve also used singles for Pike & Zander

rains

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys been using a size 16 for most now seems about right also is there a trick to putting sweet corn on the hook ? thanks again

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Bizarrely, squeezing most of the pulp out and offering little more than the skin has been recommended, and works, especially for roach and others that like to pick at stirred-up grub as it slowly settles back on the deck. Maybe it "wafts" better. Keep to a small, light hook for enhanced wafting.

rains

Reaction score
Bizarrely, squeezing most of the pulp out and offering little more than the skin has been recommended, and works, especially for roach and others that like to pick at stirred-up grub as it slowly settles back on the deck. Maybe it "wafts" better. Keep to a small, light hook for enhanced wafting.
lmao will give it ago am not that good at hair rigs plus i switch between maggots worms and corn

dannytaylor

Reaction score
It all depends on the size of bait being used.

Think Rons post RE hook sizes is spot on. However in the last few years the size of trebles i use for pike has gone up size 6 - 4 now standard.

A

alan whittington

Roach.......20 to 10
Perch........16 to 6
Bream........16 to 8
Tench .......16 to 6
Carp..........10 to 4
Pike..........for deadbaits 8 - 6 trebles the size of hooks on lures can vary from 6 to 2/0
Barbel........14 to 6
chub..........18 to 4
Dace.........18 to 20
Rudd..........16 to 10

I have never felt the need to use a hook smaller than a 20 spade end for single maggots or casters.

Thats as good a general reply as you will get Ron,and if stuck to rigidly beginners would catch fish....just wish i could now and again.;)

dezza

Reaction score
Simple.

Sometimes big perch will only take a single maggot - hence a 16 hook.

Other times they want a big lobworm, a number 6 hook is just right for such a bait. Also a small livebait such as a gudgeon is best fished on a 6 hook.

nicky

Reaction score
The sweetcorn trick can work well at times, i saw some kids fishing the other day one on the pole and one waggler they were getting loads of bites with sweetcorm but couldnt hit a single bite i squeezed the inside out of a piece of sweetcorn for them and hooked it , they had a skimmer first cast like this and went on to catch a few fish whilst i watched them

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I like 'wafting'..has a sort of nice fishy ring about it.....

Anyway,I agree 100% with Alan T and Ron and the chap who asked the question will not go far wrong with these suggestions..

However,its very easy to become lazy around changing hooks when fishing and to try to use the same hook for several different presentations when success will probably depend on using the correct hook for the bait being used.
It does take time but its well worth spending a few moments changing from (say) a 12 to an 18 to give the very best presentation for a particular bait-its always worked for me!!

If you're not catching don't just sit and hope for the best,change the hook (or float for that matter!) to improve your chances!!!.................I think its called being pro-active in todays parlance!

Good luck anyway!

rains

Reaction score
I like 'wafting'..has a sort of nice fishy ring about it.....

Anyway,I agree 100% with Alan T and Ron and the chap who asked the question will not go far wrong with these suggestions..

However,its very easy to become lazy around changing hooks when fishing and to try to use the same hook for several different presentations when success will probably depend on using the correct hook for the bait being used.
It does take time but its well worth spending a few moments changing from (say) a 12 to an 18 to give the very best presentation for a particular bait-its always worked for me!!

If you're not catching don't just sit and hope for the best,change the hook (or float for that matter!) to improve your chances!!!.................I think its called being pro-active in todays parlance!

Good luck anyway!
I would just like to say thanks to everyone for sharing am sure its help others aswell as me will be trying the wafting on friday lol am sorry to say i have fallin into the lazy department regaurding changing hooks.

thanks again Rains

watatoad

Reaction score
Depends on so much,
bait,
venue,
expected size of target prey/species