A remarkable short session

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I have just got back from a truly great short 3 hour session, on Thrybergh Reservoir of course.

7 rainbows and 1 blue. Best fish - 7 1/2 lbs. The rest - 5 1/2 lbs, three over 3lbs and 3 stockies. All fish bright bars of silver. The biggest took out at least 60 yards of backing.

Without doubt this is the best stillwater fishing for grown on fish in the country.

And now it will be open until the end of November.

Eat your hearts out you southerners - :eek:)

R

It's a rainbow that is turbocharged.

Keep your fingers clear of your reel, or you will end up in hospital with broken knuckles.

R

A stockie is a recently stocked fish. In Thrybergh they are about a pound.

R

One big difference, you can clonk them on the head, take them home and eat them!

Why can't we do this with small carp? The monks used to eat them. No shortage of them either.

E

EC

Is it true that when the trout have been newly stocked they stay near the edges of the lake?

As that is where they are used to getting fed, and as such are much easier to catch?

R

Absolutey wrong.

They do form groups in certain areas for a short time, but they soon learn to spread out in a few days. Actually its the big grown on trout that often frequent the margins.

The problem with newly stocked trout is that they are easily caught on large lures stripped quite fast. Personally I prefer to catch a few big grown-on trout using imitative flies.

By the way Eddie, just how much fly fishing have you ever done?

I've been 40 odd years at it.

R

Then I would suggest you get out and try it.

But be warned. You have only to hook a trout that screams off with 40 yards of line and then jumps twice into the air, and you are going to get hooked.

There is nothing, repeat nothing, that can equal a fit reservoir grown on rainbow trout for fighting capability size for size in British freshwaters.

Salmon might come near but truthfully, a fit rainbow is the ultimate.

Beecy

Reaction score
so what exactly is a blue then? im not taking the pee, ive never heard of a blue trout before

Beecy

Reaction score
the more I hear about this fur flinging lark and seeing it on TV, the more i am tempted to have a go.

how much Ron, do you recon i would need to spend to get started. Im not talking about the best top notch gear, just budget tackle that will do a fair job for the ocasional go on a res?

R

A blue trout is acually a rainbow trout with certain genes that give it a steely blue colouration. It's proper name is still Onchorynchus mykiss.

But it seems to be turbocharged and fight twice as hard as the normal rainbow.

Once you have seen a blue will never forget it.

R

David,

Because you live near to the lovely town of Rotherham which is surrounded with excellent fishing of all kinds, including the best still water fly fishing in England. Might I suggest you meet me at some time on Thrybergh ressie and then I can give you an overview on what you will require.

It's easy to say: ?500 plus a season ticket but you might not want to committ yourself that much. The main thing you do have to learn is the casting. It's actually harder than learning to drive a car.

If you have never cast a fly before, you are going to need lessons. Forget trying to teach yourself, you will only become frustrated and give up the whole thing.