River Idle Scrooby

J

john ledger

Dave Beecroft(Beecy)emailed saying he fancied a day stickfloat fishing later on in the year.
I know both Mike Howson and Ian Cloke would like to go and if anyone else fancies a go you are welcome.The Idle would be possibly the best venue although in the lower reaches you need to catch the river flowing so tide times will come into the equation.
We will not be fishing a match it would be turn up and fish where you want any method you like

J

john ledger

The thread title should have read the River Idle and not The River Idle Scrooby

Sgt Bash

Reaction score
I will have a bit of that John, just let me know when it comes off. You will need someone to laugh at. Just got myself an Alvey sidecaster centrepin, I can now cast a stick float a fair distance using it, it looks ugly but it is doing the job for me, gets the float out in midstream and gives me more time to learn how to control the float instead of getting tangled up casting.

J

john ledger

No problem Tom and we will not be laughing at anyone i can assure you of that.
The lower river is full of roach and you can fish most methods,waggler stick straight lead,even fish for pike if you want.
There are also a couple of pubs on the river and enough pegs for around a dozen or so anglers. It can be a daunting river as the lower end is controlled by large pumping stations and the last thing you want is the river stopping and starting. Catch the river when its running off and the roach fishing is superb especially after a bit of rain in October to December

J

john ledger

Thought you had gone to sleep Fred,be honest its the pub on the river the reason you want to go admit it

S

Sean Meeghan

I'm up for it. Haven't had any decent Roach fishing for ages.

J

john ledger

Fred they are old just like you mate.
Sean
Its a winter river so that will be the time to go,i will call in at the lock keepers office and get a tide timetable.
I think my mate Mike Townsend will be up for it(will bell him).

J

john ledger

Mike Townsend will be making one so we have enough to have a reasonable day.You dont want too many on this little river and we may be in with a chance of some big roach as they go to 2lb on the section we will be fishing although most are in the 4oz to 1lb bracket
I will try to arrange a day that is compatible to all and any problems either how to get there time and date please email me(it will be a Sat)
Tom/Sean if you come to my house i will take you down unless you know the way
Should make a good article for FM and AS

J

john ledger

The reason i say a good article is because we are all ugly sods

S

Sean Meeghan

Saturdays are best for me John so thats fine. Just let me know nearer the date.

J

john ledger

Itinenary for the day
1 Meet at the pub
2 Go in the pub
3Get the tackle out of the car
4 Back to the pub
5 Walk up the bank and drop the tackle
6 Back to the pub
7 Talk tactics in the pub
8 If its raining stay in the pub.
Anybody got any thing else to add

F

Fred Bonney

Yeh if the barmaid with the big heart isn't in,go fishing.

J

john ledger

Good idea Fred,
We could always take a couple of dozen cases with us just in case the pub runs out.
Trying to think ahead all the time

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Just take one of them water back packs the runners and cyclist use. Fill with real ale then go fishing. Saves all that walking back to the pub. Just take turns going back to fill them up.

J

john ledger

I will ask Ron Clay if he fancies a trip nearer the date as Ron and myself spent a lot of time on the Idle and i know he likes the place.
Will also get it published in the AS

J

john ledger

Bryan its a pity you live so far away because it would have suited you