Novice jerkbaiter with boat requires advice and weekend fishing partners

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Just started jerkbait fishing today on the tidal Trent; didn't catch but had a decent fish launch itself at my lure about three feet away from my wellys scared the living s*** out of me but what a buzz!!
Any way, I've been using floating lures but because the Fox solid traces are so heavy, they aren't floating. Any one suggest any floating jerkbaits that are effective and actually float when using heavy jerkbait tackle?
Also, I,ve been using Fox replicants; fabulous action but they sink like mad; are they suitable for the River Trent and how should I retrieve them?
My set up is Fox "Piker Jerk" 6' 6" rod, Shimano "Cardiff" 301 A multiplier, Powerplus 100lb braid and Fox solid leaders about 165lb breaking strain (about 10" long).
I'm looking for experienced jerkbaiters to go fishing with at the weekend; I've just bought a 15' fishing boat so should be able to get to access some decent swims. Any one who is interested can email me their contact details and I'll get back to you (I'm Sheffield based).

Chico

Reaction score
your email details are being kept as private.

The tidal has an awful lot of different features depths so it is hard to say what and where but big topwaters shouldn't sink with a trace/leader as short as that, fox traces are too short and I fish leaders of 15" and certainly wouldn't go lower than 12" of wire not including snaps/swivels. What topwaters are you using?

If your topwaters are sinking try fitting less/smaller hooks or adding a cork ball to the leader. Replicants are fine, winch them, twitch them jerk them it all works depending on how they want it.The tidal certainly has it's moods and is very tide dependent. Very fit fish. Drop me a mail.

C

Chris Bishop

Hi Tony, try enabling the e-mail address in your profile so people can contact you.

Might also be worth joining the PAC, see here

Pike Anglers Club