Press Manor 22nd august

Sam Fry

Reaction score
Hi gents,
me and a mate form work are planning a trip to press manor on 22nd august. we have only been fly fishing about 3 months. since i now a few of you on here have been to this fishery before i was hoping for some tips??? any hot flies?? has anyone fished here recently?? is it fishing well??

Cheers in advance

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I have fished the place regularly for close on 9 years.

I hope the weather is cool, blustery and overcast as it can become very hard in August. It also suffers from algea blooms in warm weather.

Floating lines, buzzers, damsel nymphs, GRHE and Invictas have worked well for me here. Small patterns down to 16 with 4lb tippets. When fishing these waters it's best not to form any pre-appointed opinions about the place. Talk to Brian the bailiff, he will put you onto the going techniques.

Sam Fry

Reaction score
Cheers Ron, I appreciate that at this time of year trout fishing is going to be very difficult. Even if i dont catch i still get some much needed casting practice!!!

Any particular hotspots on the lake? I'll try the patterns you mention.

As an aside would you fish the Invicta on a dropper or on the point and what length leader would you recommend?
Cheers for all the help, i'l have to try and make it to the next fish-in!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Again this depends on how deep the trout are. If it helps, I fish a 12 foot leader with a SA weighted damsel on the point, and two buzzers on the droppers. I have often put an Invicta on the top dropper when sedges are around.

There are no "hotspots" on Press Manor, although I do like to fish from the dam wall.