Spoiled for choice

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I was talking to a guy yesterday about the amount of fishing easily available to us Rotherhamites.

He had to agree with me that there are few towns in Britian which such a wide variety of fishing both coarse and game in a radius of 35 miles or so.

We have a large number of rivers, including the mighty Trent. There are something like 15 commercial fisheries close by if you like that sort of thing. There are a number of estate lakes set in exquisite countryside. Wentworth valley for example. We have probably the best canal fishing in the country - with huge perch, whopping great roach and chub. And then there is the trout fishing with Thrybergh the cherry on the top.

What we don't have too much of is big carp and tench, but that is no handicap.

I was talking recently to an angler from Liverpool. He told me he had to travel upwards of 60 miles to find a decent river. He couldn't believe the wealth of fishing available to the anglers of this area.

It's reached the stage where I don't know where to go fishing next.

Down to my carp syndidate lake? After some superb crucians I have discovered? The Trent? or back onto Thrybergh reservoir to hammer those big trout again. I still have 22 days to use up on my season ticket, and it's only 4 miles away!

What a dilemma!

What would you do?

R

What's in the Mersey Sean????

Rutilus rutilus scouseri

R

The Mersey runs past Liverpool.

If it walked it would get mugged!!!

:eek:)

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Move to Birmingham where really do get a choice of rivers and all within striking distance including the Warks Avon, Severn, Trent, Wye, Thames, Blythe, Tame, Teme, Lugg the list goes on but you get the idea.

S

Sean Meeghan

I'll tell Ed (in fact I'll tell both of them!)

Seriously though, the Mersey is now a good prospect. Its got excellent mixed fishing as far down as Warrinton or even lower. The winter Cod fishing is excellent and I had a great day's fishing out in Liverpool bay recently.

You've got the Dane, the Weaver, the Ribble, the Dee and loads of other rivers wthin an hour's drive, plust the Lake District and North Wales not much further.

I do have a soft spot for the place as I was educated there. I'm your man if you want a new set of hub caps or some smart alloys!!!

Sgt Bash

Reaction score
35 miles radius = 70 miles by 70 miles = 4900 square miles, thats one hell of a chunk of land to find a bit of fishing in.

S

Sean Meeghan

Just looking at my post again. Is there anywhere lower than Warrington?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

If I was you Ron with all that good fishing close by, I would enter the F.M. Fishing Race and win that specimen barbel rod.

Got to agree with Sean. Warrington is surrounded by water. I am virtually on an island and can't get out of the area without crossing over a bridge. In the recent hot weather the Mersey was throwing some tremendous weights of course fish up. And we do get salmon running through at times. All thanks to the Mersey Valley Project. I'm not sure but I think friend Monk was involved with it at some point.

B

Looking at Seans post again-: Oi!!!
Unless of course he means that Warrington is low lyeing. It is certainlty that. When I go up to Hill Cliff, it is surprising how much of a valley we are actually in. I can even look down on Liverpool from there.

R

Fancy being educated in Liverpool.

Got your Masters in hubcap nicking Sean?

"I can even look down on Liverpool from there."

Just about says it all doesn't it Baz!!

:eek:)

B

Aye that's right Ron.
I often stand up there, gaze out to Liverpool and think to myself-; I wonder how many houses are getting burgled at this moment. It's like Blackpool Illuminations with all them Blue Lights flashing on a Friday night.

S

Sean Meeghan

You even tried to go up market and move yourselves into Cheshire didn't you Baz?

I suppose technically Widnes is lower than Warrington. Says a lot for Warrington!

Tee hee getting the retaliation in first is fun!

Masters? Pah! I've got a PhD Ron. And I was educated by Jesuits so you won't win an argument with me!

B

I'm a Lancashire lad born and bred Sean. No amount of meddling by the Tory party will change that.

B

And the Labour party stole our Red Rose emblem.

Beecy

Reaction score
a 35 mile radius is 3848.451 square miles not 4900

god I must be bored this morning !

B

I suppose it all depends on which school you went to Beecy.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

The main species in the River Mersey is the 'Mersey Goldfish' (turds) which wash down from Warrington -- and judging by all the crap that Baz spouts I think he is one of the main producers of them

B

Get back in yer cage you bluddie heathen.

I think the National emblem for Wales should be Ramsbottom.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Fleet (Hampshire) let's see:

Basingstoke Canal about 2 minutes walk in just about any direction.

Gold Valley and Willow Park - 5 miles.

River Blackwater - 5 miles.

Yateley (in all it's many guises) - 6 miles.

Thames a little further up the road.

Rivers Wey, Kennet, Lodden, Test, Itchen etc etc.

God knows how much varied fishing available from the many clubs.

Probably only "missing" a decent sized Trout Ressie!.

Or will Avington do?