lures for this time of year

N

Nicky Garbutt

can anyone please tell me which lures i should be useing now. becase most of my lures are shallow diveing. so could you give 5 suggestions for your flavorite lures this time of year to use.

thanks

C

Chris Bishop

Copper spoons because you can work them at nearly any depth, spinner baits because they don't catch the weed so badly and Rapala super shads and minnows.

I'm very much a learner when it comes to lures but I can nearly always catch something on one of the above.

D

David Will

Like Chris I am learning but here is my contribution for what it is worth.I fish one ressy on a boat the The Thames and gravel pits of varying degrees of pressure from just me to to every man and his dog.
1. K Proffessor heavy in size 00 in silver/perch fished dead slow deep cast or trolled.
2. Big Helltail in orange/black trolled
3. Silver mini helltail trolled or cast from the bank
3. Bucher Mogambo in firetiger
4.Jigged rubber shads in yellow with home applied black stripes (permanent marker)
5.Fat Shad deep diver in bleeding shad colour.
First out every time is the spoon.
As a matter of interest of the last three Harris Angling orders I have had one order so far which was nearly complete , the other two were incomplete due to items out of stock . This lure fishing lark is really taking off.

N

Nicky Garbutt

david how much does the mini hell tail weight in grams. cause ive got a spinning rod rated 20-60 grams.

thanks for the reply's.

E

Eddy Garrett

Most of my pike this year have come on large copper spoons or mepps anglia spinners(size 5 or 6)

S

Steve Burke

The most important factor is the venue you're fishing. What works in my favourite water might be next to useless in your's.

In particular, the depth the lure works is absolutely critical, followed by its speed.

So sort these things out first, and only then choose the lures.

Bear in mind also that you'll need to match the lures with the rod you're using, and in particular the range of weights it will cast.

There's not enough room on the Forum to cover this topic in detail. Can I therefore suggest you tell us a bit more about the water(s) in question, and the tackle you have, whereupon I'm sure we can help.

N

Nicky Garbutt

the water i fish is the river tees it flows very littel.and its a boat chanel about 30ft in the middle and slops each side to 7ft. the tackle ive got is a 10ft spinning rod casting weight 20-60 grams with a 4010 baitrunner reel with 25lb berkley fire line.

thanks.

N

Nicky Garbutt

its snagy too lots of shopping trollies, old cars, traffic cones at 10 to 15 feet down on one side.

thanks.

D

David Will

Nicky they are 36gramme 200mm long well within your limit.They are easy to fish , you can put in little jerks etc but I have found a straight slow retrieve best. On a couple I have added extra weight to get them down in deep water.

R

Rob Brownfield

Nicky...copper spoons and spinner baits if its snaggy. Otherwise, I am using jerkbaits twitched along the bottom or spoons.

C

Carl Harrison

Nicky,
I am still catching pike on surface lures so son't restrict yourself to deep lures all the time. If the are not working try mid water or top.
Also, you may find your rod a bit light for shopping trolley's, a good jerk bait rod may be better.

S

Steve Burke

This is a deep venue, and although I haven't lure fished such rivers before it's very similar in depth to some of the lakes I regularly fish.

Assuming you're bank fishing, my first choice in this situation would be a spoon. My favourite models are the Abu Atom in the 3?inch/35gram size and the larger but similar weight Ryobi Mr. Muskies. Hopefully, Ryobi will shortly be doing a thicker version of this model for fishing down deep or at speed. These may be better suited to your heavyish rod and will probably allow you to cast further.

Both of these patterns will work down to 30 feet, although the speed on the Mr Muskie will have to be kept a little slower than the Atom for a given depth. BTW, the Atom will no longer be imported into the UK after this season.

If you count the spoons down to a different depth each time you'll soon find out at what depth the pike are feeding. You could then switch to a floating plug that dives to this depth. However, if the fish are down deep this will be hard work. Additionally, there are only a limited number of deep diving patterns, so a sinking plug may be better. As each floating plug has a different depth it works down to, you'll need a range of patterns/sizes.

I'm prepared to advise only on topics I know about, so can't help you with jerkbaits as I'm not fit enough to handle such lures. However, I know friends have done well with them in your sort of situation.

As already suggested, spinnerbaits are also a good bet, although most are probably somewhat too light to cast with your rod. If you need to fish deep go for one with a single blade.

I also like soft plasics - have a look at Ryobi's Head Cases, which are available in slow and fast sinking versions. These can be particularly deadly when the pike are in a finicky mood

As the water temperature falls you'll probably need to go deeper and also retrieve more slowly. However, this isn't an infallible rule so it pays to experiment.

As I'm always saying, if at first you don't succeed, try something......different!

N

Nicky Garbutt

thanks alot for all your advice il lend one of my mates jerkbait set up and give it a go this weekend. and when i get some money get one for myself im thinking about the starter kit from harris angling 175 pound not cheap but it will get me started.

thanks agine.

N

Nicky Garbutt

thanks for advice every one i got a few jacks on the spoons ans spinner baits from the "car park swim" and i tryed the small jerk baits and got a nice 9lb. so thanks for everything.

nick

D

David Will

Nicky just had a good weekend on the Fens , lots of Pike and a couple of Zander.Mine were mostly on black/silver Spring Dawg the lad I was with had success on Toothy Critter jigs alluded to by Steve Burke earlier.