Hogging a swim for ages........

E

EC

Just read an article which talks of an un-named, but apparently well known, big fish angler hogging a productive swim for long periods of time, even whilst he is at work!

Of the waters available for night fishing, my clubs insist that the swim is vacated after 1, 2 or a maximum 3 days, depending on the water in question.

So even if I wanted to hog a swim for 3 days whilst at work I still wouldnt fancy my chances of finding all my gear when I got back.

Does swim hogging really happen? If so how?

F

Fred Bonney

I like these articles, that work on inuendo and accuse,or hint,but don't name,don't you Eddie? ;o)
In my opinion, there is no way somebody can hog a swim to that extent, without the approval of the fishery 'controller'.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It's easy Eddie if two mates are fishing side by side, just swap swims.
On large waters it's not too bad, but on small waters it's very unfair, nobody else gets a look in.

E

EC

I know Bazza will possibly have had some experience of the above Frederiko, but club rules and the possibility of tackle theft make it a difficult proposition round here!

I just wonder how it is actually done?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I personally do not like these sort of articles, especially where baseless inuendo is in fact the main body of the piece.

There are some venues in the south that allow a single angler to occupy a swim for unlimited periods totally within the fishery rules.

Now, all that is needed is for said angler to become relatively successful and here you have these ill informed 'journalists' (and I use the word with caution) claiming that the angler is 'hogging' the swim, or at least intimating that his actions are not within the rules.

Truth be told, it often transpires that the 'report' is nothing than 'green eyed jealousy' stemming from those who are not prepared to put in the time or the extra effort necessary for success!

Lord Paul

Reaction score
With all the modern equipement avialable it's easy to stay on the banks all the time....just look at wireless internet as I sit here in my bivvy and type........got to go the buzzer's just gone on 1 of my 3 rods

Lord Paul

Reaction score
got to old chap that's who "minds" the swim for me when the chauffeur drives me to another lake and another swim that the gardener is minding. The truth is mostly I'm at the gentlemens club and only visit my swims if I get a call from one of my swim minders , the chauffeur then drives me to the lake and a play annd land the fish.

W

Woodys angle

"With all the modern equipement avialable it's easy to stay on the banks all the time....just look at wireless internet as I sit here in my bivvy and type........" & "Bait boat,cooking stove, comfy chair, bed, bath, shower,"

Thank Heaven for Tescos Internet shopping and delivery service to your swim, eh? :eek:)

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I agree with Peter, if an angler sat in a swim for a month and caught zilch there wouldn't be a word said. If he empties the place with some eye opening fish the "green eyed can't be bothered normally" anglers would want him out and try and pinch some of his hard earned glory.

What is wrong with a man parking himself in a swim on a three or four acre lake or pit for goodness sake there is loads of room for anyone else wishing to fish. If the rules allow it and a man wishes to do it then there is no reasonable argument, the green eyed chancers wouldn't see it that way though would they.

honslow

Reaction score
Sour grapes?
Was that the article where the author admitted to blanking on a water for three seasons? Reckon he needs to do a bit more time!
He, he!

B

Bully

I waswalking a syndicate lake last year and meet up with a "named" angler (Dave someone, cant remember at the moment). He had been there for a month, in the same swim!!

Thing was it was a syndi so I reckoned he had every right to be there unless the rules stated otherwise.....

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

If you aint breaking the rules then there should never be a problem. You join a club or syndicate knowing the rules.

As others have said, 99% of the time its the green eyed monster, plenty of them about, waiting for the press release to then go knocking.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

The Monk used to have paid swim reservers all armed to the teeth wuth baseball bats and machetes.

F

Fred Bonney

Too right Wol,the Travellers been out and, it's already started!

honslow

Reaction score
What happens when they hit the ball in the lake Ron?