Startin Sea Fishing

Kris Fraser

Reaction score
Hi i have neva sea fished before am going shore fishing in anstruther near St Andrews. I am using a Rod but what tacle will i use and waht size of hook and bait ?

alan

Reaction score
that all dpends on what rod you have and what species you are after?

Kris Fraser

Reaction score
i dont know what rod its just about 2 metres long and i dont know what species are in the shore of sea fishing in scotland

David Naylor 3

Reaction score
Best bet is to find a local tackle shop and speak to the guys in there.

If your rod is only 2m then that's about 6 and a half ft so beach fishing is gonna be a problem. I'd fine some rocks or a harbour wall to fish from.

Buy some spinners or feathers if the mackeral are about, which they should be at this time of year.

If you want to bait fish then Black Lug or Rag worm would be your best bet for general fishing. And if your fishing from Rocks or a Wall with a short rod, you'd probably be best off with a float.

Find a hook size to match your bait. You'll need at least 15lb line but all this needs to match the rod and reel that you are using. This information should be displayed on the side of the spool on your reel.

David Naylor 3

Reaction score
correction - Float or weight doesn't really matter but float fishing would be better to avoid snags on rocks unless your prepared to fawk out for lots of spares.