Weedy bottoms

rains

Reaction score
lol no jokes please am currenty fishing on a canal and the bottom is it has a weedy bottom my question is with out racking it will the fish still pick the food out of the weeds is it still possible to fish on the bottom .

Also do tench and bream only food on the bottom thanks rains

chav professor

Reaction score
Depends what type of weed it is. If it is what I call cabbage patch type weed, it is very clear under the submerged pads and provides route for fish. perhaps it would be a good idea to free-line a big bait and use a bobbin....

rains

Reaction score
Depends what type of weed it is. If it is what I call cabbage patch type weed, it is very clear under the submerged pads and provides route for fish. perhaps it would be a good idea to free-line a big bait and use a bobbin....
Its stringy if that makes sense comes up easy i like my floats too much lol

chav professor

Reaction score
Trust me, I love the float - but where there is a flow and weed, then the presentation achieved with freelining is superb for Chub and Carp. In fact, I do not use less than 10lb line so I can land either - this is due to the slack line.

The truth is, weed fishing is challenging and puts most people off - but if all you have to fish is a river or canal that is heavilly weeded, you have no option but to adapt. As it happens, it is now my favourite time of the year to fish. I sometimes clear spaces in the weed, or cut a channel, but be frugal. If you clear too much, ythe fish may avoid the area.

Another method you could try is using an onion float and a knot so the float rests against the bulk shot and then slides up the line to a stop knot (I think this is called slider fishing and is normally used to fish very deep lakes). cast to a gap and the compact rig hits the spot and the float can then slide up the line to depth - you could fish lighter then.

You can get away with quite a bit in terms of presention in weed - they feed far more confidently in weed!

Hope this helps.....

Last edited:

rains

Reaction score
Trust me, I love the float - but where there is a flow and weed, then the presentation achieved with freelining is superb for Chub and Carp. In fact, I do not use less than 10lb line so I can land either - this is due to the slack line.

The truth is, weed fishing is challenging and puts most people off - but if all you have to fish is a river or canal that is heavilly weeded, you have no option but to adapt. As it happens, it is now my favourite time of the year to fish. I sometimes clear spaces in the weed, or cut a channel, but be frugal. If you clear too much, ythe fish may avoid the area.

Another method you could try is using an onion float and a knot so the float rests against the bulk shot and then slides up the line to a stop knot (I think this is called slider fishing and is normally used to fish very deep lakes). cast to a gap and the compact rig hits the spot and the float can then slide up the line to depth - you could fish lighter then.

You can get away with quite a bit in terms of presention in weed - they feed far more confidently in weed!

Hope this helps.....
Thanks bud will give this ago today

dannytaylor

Reaction score
The whole of the canal will not be a carpet of weed. There will be clear spots. You need to search for these, if the water is clear have a walk with your polaroids and look for clear spots. If the water is murky take a heavy pike/carp rod with a 2oz lead weight and feel about for clear areas by dragging the lead back along the bottom.

A simple way of clearing the bottom weed is to choose a couple of spots and prebait them with particle baits, the fish will soon rip up the weed as they root and dig for the bait, keep the bait going in every other day and you will be surprised how the area clears up, just dont let anybody see you doing this ;)

good luck.

watatoad

Reaction score
You could rake it 2 number garden rake heads welded together with short chain fixed to a very strong length of rope. Although I would be inclined to see if I could find a section without any weeds if you don't like fishing in weeds. Never found it to be much of a problem myself just part of the great learning curve that is angling.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
You can skip the welding and use one rake if you bind a bit of foam pipe-lagging to the back, so it always falls teeth-down.
And the short length of (heavy) chain is VITAL to keep the pull horizontal as long as poss.

thames steve

Reaction score
You can skip the welding and use one rake if you bind a bit of foam pipe-lagging to the back, so it always falls teeth-down.
And the short length of (heavy) chain is VITAL to keep the pull horizontal as long as poss.

Good tips Alan - I'm going to do exactly what you recommend - thanks ;)