Rutland Water on Saturday

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Weather forcast looks good - cool, overcast with rain threathening.

Boat is booked.

Anyone fished there recently?

Neil?

R

Adrian,

I've had a look at the site. Some lovely browns taken.

I would love to have landed that huge brown I hooked in the South Arm in '87. My friend in the boat said it was definitely a double. That would have been stuffed.

NT

Reaction score
Ron, Fished it in April and did well with black buzzers under the bung. It takes us just under 3 hours to get there - so we prefer to go to Grafham & Draycote.
The folks in the lodge are most helpful and should put you right on the best flies, places and lines. Or read Rultandgillies as its up to date. Go up the south arm for the best grown on fish.
Neil

R

80 miles down the A1 for me Neil - too far.

Should be there in 2 hours depending on the traffic.

I will tie up plenty of SA Damsels, The trout on Thrybergh went barmy for them at the weekend.

We are camping nearby. On Sunday I move off to spend a few days in Cambs after the bream and tench.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Don't forget your bungs Ron .....

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
For a minute there I thought the mighty Ron was asking me for advice!!!

Anyway, Rutland, yes, I last fished it in May. From the bank on the South Arm and I had me limit, mainly stockies but one superb brown of just over 3lbs.

Most came on large tandem black lures or baby dolls with a red tag.

Oh by the way, that was May 1982!

R

Fished there last Saturday amidst the most atrocous weather. Getting out of the boat dock was a major problem. Had to scoot for sheltered water on the north side of the south arm.

Got only one fish. Then the weather got worse and we headed for home. Getting the boat back to the moorings proved a major obstacle, nearly broke my arm doing it.

Don't seem to hit clement weather whenever I go to Rutland for some reason.