I've got 3 rods and the lake's mine

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

Last night I arrived a the bank at 7:30 - I intended to fish in a quiet corner I've been catch carp from. When I got to the peg there was a guy fishing round the corner with 3 rods - 2 straight out front and one to his left hand margin. This was ok because I intended to fish to his right hand side well away from him.

I put my chair down in the swim and threw in a couple of handfuls of pellets to start the swim off. I then went back to my car for my rod ect, as I returned to my swim I saw the chap wind in one rod from out front and cast it into the swim to his right hand margin.
Why? Just because I was intending to fish there?
I tackled up and cast to my chosen spot (which was still well away from his right hand rod) and fished.

The chap seemed to spend most of his time either laying down or on his mobile - recasting his rods every ¼ hours to the same spots - I fished one rod and switched baits and area I cast to as I saw carp break the surface.

Result I caught 2 to his none and to add insult a third as he packed away

Some people need to learn a bit of respect for other anglers and also a bit of watercraft, simply sticking 3 rods out and never changing the bait or position (except to try to stop others fishing) isn't the way to go

beerweasel

Reaction score
I agree carpists have lost the plot, I have fished two rods (one pike set up and one bait catcher). If they used tuna long lines with multiple hooks they might catch even more.

richiekelly

Reaction score
ok i will take the bait, the chap in question was not what i would call a carp angler, he is someone that fishes for carp and to me there is a world of difference between the two. he seems just to be a selfish angler with no confidence in what he was doing, i cannot understand why some are always ready to jump onto the backs of people fishing for carp,i have seen the same thing happen with other forms of angling. there are selfish people in all forms of angling im just glad they are in a minority where i fish.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
ok i will take the bait, the chap in question was not what i would call a carp angler, he is someone that fishes for carp and to me there is a world of difference between the two. he seems just to be a selfish angler with no confidence in what he was doing, i cannot understand why some are always ready to jump onto the backs of people fishing for carp,i have seen the same thing happen with other forms of angling. there are selfish people in all forms of angling im just glad they are in a minority where i fish.

I couldn't agree more !

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

my comment about carp anglers wasn't meant to be taken seriously

beerweasel

Reaction score
Mine was, sorry but where do you draw the line 3,6,9 rods ? How about bite alarms that page your winnebago in the car park, I've seen trouters using up to 4 flies on one leader. To me this aint cricket, but you do what ever you like.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Mine was, sorry but where do you draw the line 3,6,9 rods ? How about bite alarms that page your winnebago in the car park, I've seen trouters using up to 4 flies on one leader. To me this aint cricket, but you do what ever you like.

thanks for the permission i will.

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

my comment about carp anglers wasn't meant to be taken seriously

i know, just rising to the bait:)

flightliner

Reaction score
Mi lud, its where ever you go. Try float fishing on the Trent for barbel. Someone will sit dead opposite (i,m ok with that)and nine times out of ten they cast their heavy feeder gear over your float line or straight into your swim. Ask politely to observe the mid river rule and all to often you get abuse or no acknowledgement whatsoever.
Its just plain bad manners.

flightliner

Reaction score
[
quote=Lord Paul of Sheffield;1003944]no manners these day [/quote]

Do you mean "No lady Manners" Mi-lud.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score

..but these are the people who are pandered to! Gone are the secluded little swims in the bushes where I used to fish a float for tench - they've been widened out to fit a bivvy in. No more walking to your swim with a light setup, we can all get our cars round now so we don't have to make four trips. Who now, on a morning session, can compete with the bait baron who's been there a full week and has put so much feed in that every fish in the lake is concentrated in front of him?

I fully accept that the are carp anglers and proper carp anglers but as an outsider to carp fishing it seems to me that it's a branch of the sport that needs to put its house in order.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
why do other anglers automatically assume that because an angler has 3 rods out he was fishing for carp?

The comment RE the bloke not casting in the time you where there, but you did several re-casts and caught more. To be honest when ive sett my "stall" out for big fish i try to re-cast as little as possible in order to keep disturbance down. You could look at this another way, "bloody pleasure anglers reeling in and casting every five minuites" :D

(tongue in cheek)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I gather that the carper comment was initially tongue in cheek but it seems to have got its share of bites anyway.

All I can add is that every form of angling has its share of inconsiderate toe rags. There have always been match anglers that will deliberately do inconsiderate (or downright unsporting) things to either poach your peg/swim or ruin it for you if they can't get at it. Most waters have their share of anglers (carp, barbel, pleasure, fly, even sea) that will encroach an otherwise deserted angler when they realise he's catching more than they are. Many waters have anglers that will use more rods than they are legally (by law or fishery rules) entitled to, covering multiple swims or even, at the extreme, different ponds.

On a slightly different tack, some folks are time bandits and act like they own a peg. Others are bait barrons and chuck in more than most could possibly hope to use. Those things are slightly different to the plain inconsiderate. To moan about them too much smacks of sour grapes that you don't have the time or money to do the same if you could or were inclined to.

No one branch of angling has a monopoly on inconsiderate anglers.

watatoad

Reaction score
Hehehe...typical Carp angler, bet you will be crossed off his Christmas Card list.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Hehehe...typical Carp angler, bet you will be crossed off his Christmas Card list.

there it is again the downer on carp anglers,i will say it again this chap was not a carp angler but someone that fished for carp and would probably have the same attitude if he was fishing for minnows.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Let's forget that the bloke was fishing for carp - he was given his set up - rods,bait ect
The fact is he saw me baiting up a swim he wasn't fishing and then moved a rod in there - I was carp fishing (so I've no beef with carp anglers)

I've no objection to him fishing 3 rods - I looked where he was fishing and kept out of his way

He did regularly re-cast about every 15 minutes but always to the same spots and with the same bait- no thought to change when he wasn't catching

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Yeah but on a small commercial you shouldn't be fishing 3 rods, you will sure as eggs is eggs be fishing on front of someone else. I'm not knocking carpers but just because you own 3 rods doesn't mean you have to use them all the time. On big reservoirs and pits - go for it. Fish 4 if you like, just don't fish a small pond like its 20 acre lake.