New Group formed in Black Country

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Specimen Groups faded in popularity since they first emerged in the 1950's. Is it now time for them to take on a new lease of life?

C

Carp Angler

I think specimen groups that fail tend to be victims of their own success.
Too many members means diluted input.
If the group does not expand beyond a manageable size then the quality of the input and discussion should be of a decent nature.
Considering the quality and variety of the initial half a dozen people involved, it should be a massive success.

S

Stewart Bloor

Hi!! As one of the co-founders of the Black Country Specimen Group, I certainly want to see it become successful. I hope though, that we don't become victims of our success. I have had some correspondence with other Specimen Group leaders, which has been helpful, by learning from what they had to say. Carp, you're right about the initial half a dozen people involved, and I'm glad that you're one of them with BCSG !!
Stewart Bloor (Sedge)

C

Carp Angler

Who gave Sedge access to the forum??????
Now there's no escape from him!!!!
AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The best advice I can give to anyone forming a group is to decide on the maximum number of members and stick to it.

Vet potential members carefully, and preferably (and where possible) accept only those known to at least one existing member of the group who will vouch for him.

Have minimum rules, and let common sense reign. Don't have any rules pertaining to fishing expertise or experience. Try for a good mix of experience and novice. Make one rule that says members should keep no secrets from other members.

And above all, keep it friendly and informal.

Good luck and enjoy!

Graham

S

Stewart Bloor

Graham, very much along the lines of where we are heading, so nice to know we're on the right track. As for Carp, I'll see you on Friday !!!! But to answer your question, it was Mr marsden himself who sorted out my access problems - so there !!
Stewart Bloor (Sedge)

P

paul williams

Graham!!!! why did you let him on the forum, now we have no sanctuary!!!!! seriuosly though i feel the time is right for the reamergance of specimen groups, a lot of anglers are turning away from the pursuit of single species and regular meetings with other like minded anglers can only be benificial to all group members.

S

Stewart Bloor

So is this it then. I get a mail in my Inbox, telling me I have a reply on the Forum, and all I get is Paul Williams !!! Glad, you agree with the BCSG though Paul, especially as you are the co-founder !!
Seriously, though, I do feel that the group will be influential and effective. Watch this space, as they say !!
Sedge

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Now, now boys, you're fighting already and you're not even launched yet!

S

Stewart Bloor

I don't know who this Graham Marsden is, but when I clicked on to his profile it says he fishes once a year.
Can't be the Graham Marsden I know, he fishes at least...well...once a year
Sedge

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Give me strength. I've got him here now as well as on the Mailing List. Using me for a kneeling pad in two places.

C

Carp Angler

I think that Grahams idea of making sure potential members are known to at least one current member is a very good idea.
I also believe that new members should be vetted by the co-founders/committee.
Specimen fish shouldn't be a pre-requisite (lucky for Sedge) but committment and enthusiasm should be plus points.
I know I'm mainly a carp angler, but fishing for other species allows me to retain my sanity.
Barbel, roach, tench and bream are always high on my agenda.
I'd also like to attempt zander and catfish.
With a good mix of knowledgeable and pleasant people all these targets can be met with great advice on tactics and venues and fishing in good company.(did I say that?)
I'm really looking forward to being able to join up, chat and fish with like minded people.

M

Mike Fidler

Bags me in as well! but seriously chaps what are the aims of this specimen group? and is it an attempt to unify the list members into a more cohesive unit?

S

Stewart Bloor

Mike, thanks for your interest.
The aim of the BCSG is to bring together like-minded people, who enjoy fishing for specimen fish. Although not a single species group, it will no doubt contain those whose main focus is for a single species, but the diversity of the members interests will be of benefit to all. Of course, the group will develop in accordance with the membership and in
many ways, the direction of the group
will be dictated by the members.
We want to be an informal group, but recognise that structure is important, so there will be offices within the group.
In reference to the mailing list (for those who are unsure what this is, thsi is the list that Graham Marsden is the moderator of) it is a totally seperate entity and we have no agenda, hidden or otherwise to bring into the list. The fact that we have had interest from list members is inevitable and of course, welcomed, but the two are different.
Although we are based in the Black Country we have been blessed by the interest shown by those outside the area (like yourself in the Northampton area !!). It shows that a) there is a 'niche in the market' for something like this and b) those, such as yourself who have shown interest, we are all known tom one another. This is really what we want to establish - a group built on relationship and friendship. Hope that answers your questions Mike?
Now a question for Graham !! Why is the topic in the Carp section not Coarse or General? As we are not a carp group, non-carp anglers might miss the thread.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Sorry Sedge, it was a mistake and at the moment there is no means whereby I can transfer all the messages to the General section.

But to make amends you can post the announcement in the General section as well, and I promise I won't delete it - I know you'll forgive me, that's your job.

C

Carp Angler

Mike makes us sound like the England midfield "one cohesive unit" it all sounds rather thrilling really....

S

Stewart Bloor

Now Carp, that's got me thinking.....I wonder who we would be....
Carp, you've got to be Gaza - big, slow and cries when you miss a bite
Wurzel - Dennis Wise because he looks like him
Paul Williams - Beckham, wears his wife's underwear, or so I'm told
Graham - Gordon Strachan. Small, fast,and now too old to play, so becomes the manager
Me - well, after a long think, it's got to be David Ginola...tall, good looking, model features, sophisticated, suave...oh...and modest....

C

Carp Angler

Sedge proves his knowledge of the great game by claiming a Scot and a Frenchman in the England midfield.
Mind you, we know Sedge knows nothing about football, he supports Leeds.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Me, too old to play? That's it, the gauntlet's down. Name your lake or river and let's have a tenner on the outcome. We'll pick two swims and toss a coin for first choice.

P

paul williams

NOW YOUVE DONE IT GINOLA SEDGE!!!! if you lose we are gonna make you pay for all the beer at group meetings!!
Oh yes, and at least i don't go to work in long flowing gowns! silky ones at that!!!!