Hot tips for the Teme

Big Bazza

Reaction score
Hi all new to the site and am looking for whats hot and not along the Teme at and around Tenbury.
I am on a weeks long break there next week and altho able to get some info from locals wondered if anyone has any ideas.
I dont mind catching dace on a float, but really am after the chub & barbus.
Thanks & cheers Bazza

PS Sorry if you have already replied but I thought this Topic may be better responded too.

F

Fred Bonney

What in 10 minutes,in work hours?
Find out if it's rained and if water levels are good.

Big Bazza

Reaction score
You got it...apparently water levels are low surprise surprise eh? 15 barbel were caught tother evening by one so its fishing good, but its really the bait I'm concerned about as something that's good on the Hants Avon may not be on the Teme and as you know we take too much anyway and I just want to trim it down a bit. Thanks for the reply

J

John McLaren

I've not fished the Tenbury area but halibut pellets were the top bait last year on other stretches. Best approach being to loose feed to an area which the barbel can be drawn to - feeders generally were a no-no.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I alwaus find spending 20-30 mins in one swim then moving the best way. Fish above snags and draw the fish to you. Fish pellet and around a dozen as looe feed. Just as trev west advises. If you catch a fih move to the next swim after adding a few more pellets and revisit later.

Also do not forget the near bank as i have had barbel from right under my rod tip. Hit and hold is the way no room for baitrunners and napping. If you do they will have you snagged.

You will have a good time as they will usually feed through out the day.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

No probs Barry mate. Carry on and THIS could happen on the Teme quite easily

J

John McLaren

Baz it sounds like you are criticising Barry for asking for help and, presumably me and Bryan for responding.

What we have said is actually already available in many other resources (books, magazines, DVDs etc). OK Barry could have chosen to seek information from such sources but he chose this site instead.

Anyone wanting to abuse fishing facilities can get their information from any number of sources. Neither Bryan nor I have given information on specific areas, simply on methods. If we are not able to share this sort of information with other anglers because of fears that others might use the information to steal fish then the days of FM and other angling websites are numbered.

A

alexander laurie

Barry,

I've fished the Teme further downstream in low water conditions. Don't remember one blank day.
I find a moving bait (floatfished) works better when the rivers are low and clear. The only problem is that on the Teme, snags are never far away, so landing them on float gear is the big problem.

Alternative is to stay mobile as Bryan suggests. Sometimes I find that rather than try to draw fish from upstream of a willow, it is better to fish a really long drop of say 6ft and let the bait roll right under. You can also use light leads (I use plasticine)to roll a bait under the willows.

All the best, Alex

B

Just replying to Barry after his little dig at me for whatever reason john.
What is it that was said recently? and not by me.
The more a place gets mentioned the worst it goes.
Yours is an old defence John and flawed to the last sentence.
Never heard of replying by private e-mail have you?
Anyway, on with the thread.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Baz i don't know if you have ever been down to the Teme. I think it is one river that will never be over fished. The stretch i know is so overgrown that getting to the water is a adventure. The banks drop down 10 foot and a rope and dog spike are required. Some spots are unfishable as the woods are to dense and the valley drops over 50-100 foot stright down. There are some stretches where the water shallows that are more accesable but even here there are hard to reach pegs. These fish have to be earned. You can not tun up and just plonk yourself in a peg and expect to empty the river as most lazy anglers do. That visit the nearby Severn.

To put it simple Baz its the sort of place you would love a lot like the Dane but harder to get to.

B

I have never fished it Bryan. I have seen a few video's on it though. It looks a nice place.

J

John McLaren

Baz, sorry I didn't pick up on previous comments.

I am not having a go at you personally here and I understand where you (and others) are coming from but it is a question of balance - I have used private e-mails on a number of occasions where I judged that information should only be shared privately. On this occasion the info I shared was pretty basic and non-specific so why not share it openly? It seemed to me that Bryan's information fell into the same category.

Coincidentally the latest edition of Total Coarse Fishing has a very detailed article on fishing the Teme backed up by an enthusiastic editor's column relating to the same water - the information there covers all that has been detailed here and a lot more!

I would echo Bryan's sentiments - you would love this river (it's a shame it's not a bit nearer to us!)

B

Agreed John mate.
My post to Barry probably came across sterner than what it was meant to do. Welcome to the show Barry.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Barry if you are fishing around Tenbury the best local water is the Peacock (pub) waters, its got loads of barbel along that stretch but you need to find them as a lot of the pegs are very shallow. There is another stretch in between that and Tenbury just down from the garage on the way out of Tenbury, both venues are on the A456 Bewdley road.

There are other as you go towards Worcester some of which are BAA and available on day ticket.

P

pons

Barry,
The Teme is very ,very low and clear at present,and hard,and only the very best presentation will work in the daytime.

You must find the fish,and they are tightly shoaled.

Read this months TCF where a stretch close to Tenbury was used on the feature,and you may find it of help.

Small baits will be needed,fleuro mainlines and hooklinks,back leads,small hooks,very little loosefeed,pva bags are better,dont cast very often,and fish for a bite at a time.
Keep mobile,travel light.
contact me on chrispons@talk21.com for any more info,and include a phone no.
Pons.

Big Bazza

Reaction score
Thanks Chris and to every one else who have helped,thats all I really wanted, "An idiots guide" as I travel on me own and like to fish different waters.
Baz I don't know how you thought I was having a pop or a dig?? It was my first thread since I only joined Wednesday and not being as skilled as others I did not want to buy or take so much gear and bait that I could not get to the bank!!
Thanks again

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Welome to the site Barry glad you are a participant and not just a lurker.

Keep us informed on how you get on.

Big Bazza

Reaction score
Got there in the end and took everything bar the proverbial but aint that always the way!!
However only really used Pellets, the new 14mm Smartbait hookers along with 4&6mm in PVA bags.
Chris was correct and he probably knows where I fished!!
Things were difficult, however as the week progressed I managed to have a few out and by scaling down to cut down(in half)14mm pellets and 14 hooks,I managed 7 Barbel in one day session along with a dog Chub. I totalled for 4 days: 14 Barbel, 7 Chub (None smaller than 4lb), 2 Bream and 2 trout...on the float.
Thanks for the help. Tight Lines

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Well done Barry, glad to see you sussed out about using smaller baits when things are tough, this tactic works extremely well on the Teme and I, personally, have caught more barbel on the Teme using 8mm pellets than I have with 14mm. Smallers hooks work well too but they do present their own problems of course, especially in those really tight swims where a lot of pressure is needed.