tinned corn does it again

uscarper

Reaction score
I joined this forum back in the winter. havebeen reading it for a couple years now. it has the best info as far as i'm concerned. i live in s.w. ohio in the u.s. been fishinf for carp seriously for a couple years now. as i said in my intro on newbies page, no one fishes for carp here and are considered a trash or forage fish. i love them a true , strong sportfish in my opinion. well my swim as been flooded now for over a month, it has receded now so i can start fishing it. normally its very, very clear. and about a meter deep in most spots. gravel , rock, and sand. a few weeds later in summer. well its very murky now, can see maybe 6 inches deep. anyway went on saturday for a few hours session. pitched in 5 handfuls of tinned sweet corn. 5 minutes later a 17lb common, 30 minutes later i lost two when the hook pulled. i dont have true carp tackle. 1 rod is really to heavy , other is reaally to light, but anyway 10 minutes later 2 6lb commons. and also lost a mystery fish on a large soft crawfish. i beleive it was either large carp or a large freshwater drum fish. will be going back in 3 days to do it again. alll where released, much to the dispair of my bulgarian wive...lol...lol any info on rods ,lines,hooks would be very helpful. if any one makes to this area let me know can hook you up with some great carping. keep up the good work. also any suggestion on nets would help to... thanks from across the big pond. photos coming soon:):D

watatoad

Reaction score
Hi Uscarper,

Welcome to Fishing Magic Forums, I am no great Carper being essentially a river angler, however I do at times fish for river Carp. So keep on enjoying your chosen prey and may you catch many more and have many hours of pleasure.

little oik

Reaction score
Sounds like a great spot for fishing keep up the good work and enjoy.

uscarper

Reaction score
i went again today for about 2 hours. same scenario, sweet corn pitched into my swim. caught a 7lb common in about 20 minutes, a 12lb common 30 minutes later, then a beautiful 5lb common that fought like the devil.this fish was very fat and healthy. all on corn and bolt rigs. i dont even have to cast, just pitch it out on a underhand swing. still no one else there carp fishing. this place is unbeleivable. when the water clears up, you can see them take your bait. hoping to beat my pb common here of 19lb. have seen a 30lb caught. and lost one here that was every oz. a 40.mirrors are rare here,although ive caught a few. my pb mirror is 8lb. wish you all could be here to enjoy it with me.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
sounds like heaven, bet you dont have to worry about getting the swim you want :D

Have a look at "Globe trotters quest" by Tony-Davis Patrick. Great book plenty about carp fishing in america.

good luck with beating your PB, im sure out there it wont take too long.

Tight Lines.

uscarper

Reaction score
thanks to everyone for all the nice comments. and no i dont have to wait to get my swim:D sometimes there are people fishing across from my favorite swim,when its clear they can see the carp there. but no one uses corn or carpbait. they float fish worms. on this little stream carp learned along time ago that worms are danger. so much they swim away when they see a worm, plus here if they see your line they will spook. i dont use backleads but i make sure that my rods are pointing down toward the water as to keep it low and on the bottom. people are amazed they cant beleive that someone would use corn for bait. some people use corn here to catch stocked trout from the resovoirs, but not anything else. once on a different stream, a freind of mine who had fished quite abit and i where looking for a place to catch baitfish for catfishing. we were watching this hole when i noticed the orange on a carps tail fin. we went to myhouse to get our rods andmy freind says i'll go buy some worms. i said no need i got corn, he was laughing until i got my first one in 10 minutes:D, my pb mirror . we ended up with 8, from 6 lb to 13 ponds in one hour.

dezza

Reaction score
Do you know, I thought that it was the USA where canned sweetcorn as bait was invented.

I was using canned sweetcorn for catching carp in South Africa as early as 1968. The late famous English angler and countryman: Fred J Taylor, brought the idea of using sweetcorn as a bait to England from the USA some time in the 70s. His even more famous friend, **** Walker wrote fulsome praise on many occasions on the efficacy of sweetcorn.

In Europe you can buy canned sweetcorn in all sorts of flavours. However it's very expensive at about $2.00 a can.

S

Scott Whatmore

When it's warm and they are cruising just below the surface try taking them with floating dog biscuit. Either banded or on a hair rig (or super glued on the hook).

Using bread crust is also ideal for surface fishing.

That's great fun !

agamemnon

Reaction score
i never leave the house without my trusted tin of corn in the tackle bag, in fact if i was limited to one bait for the rest of my life that bait would be sweetcorn

uscarper

Reaction score
i didn't know that it started over here in the states. in my area no one seems to have heard of using it. but then again no one really carp fishes either. most are caught on accident while fishing for other species. im 42 ivebeen using it since i was a kid, although back then it was just when i couldn't get any other bait. i didnt target carp then really. i just fished.lol..lol plus its cheap at .49 cents a can. i also made a doughbait that consisted of cream soda, corn meal, flour, and strawberry jello all boiled together. it worked great. but tinned corn is so easy to use. am planning on experimenting with some other baits. oh i was wondering if peanut butter could be used as a paste bait. would this harm the carp in any way?

dezza

Reaction score
I have used peanut butter, stiffened up with corn flour, but I don't remember it being anything special. Most of my carp fishing and a lot of other species were caught using plain old brown and white bread, sweetcorn, maize meal paste we called meiliepap (that's Afrikaans) and dough made with ordinary white flour.

I don't see peanut butter harming carp any more than othe baits.

Some of your dough baits look interesting. There were the fore runner of boilies.

uscarper

Reaction score
I may make some of this doughbait today, if you would like the recipe Ron, I'd be happy to share it with you and the rest of the F.M. crew. I've used bread before and it works great here to. Although i've never fished it on top. will give this a go also. a freind would wad up some bread and dip it in fish flavored catfood, this worked well. plus it also caught alot of snapping turtles, which was ok as we would keep the turtles for the pot..

uscarper

Reaction score
well today was a good day, i will post on" its the vibes" one part of this as it pertains to that thread but on this thread.. i went to our local river today to a spot we call the falls. its a small lowhead dam, i was experimenting really. i took a tin of corn, some cornmeal muffin mix, and a tin of fish flavored cat food. i mixed this together and baited a slow moving eddy and baited up with the corn. to my surprise i landed a 2lb 8oz channel catfish, very good eating. i then caught a small redtail chub of about 5inches long on my second rod which was baited with a single kernel on a small hook. i put on a float and baited with the chub and landed a 2lb largemouth bass. as i was getting ready to leave. i got a 7lb 10oz light colored common on corn also. i had never fished corn at this spot only worms, minnows and lures. and had never caught a catfish on corn until today. this mix worked well.will try this tommorrow at my main carp spot