Neville Fickling - interview in the Angling Times

keora

Reaction score
There's an excellent interview with Neville Fickling in this week's Angling Times that's well worth reading. Often the Angling Times interviews concentrate more on the journalist having a pleasant time fishing with the interviewee, and the resulting articles can be rather bland.

For a change, this interview covers two pages and there's some thought provoking ideas. Neville Fickling suggests

"The problem is that we are too efficient at catching. Do we need to cut down the number of rods we can use, or introduce a pike season ?"

What do other pike anglers think of this idea ?

G

Gary Knowles

I agree, great article.

but Nev not liking people?......I don't belive that...

P

paul williams 2

Nev loves Midlanders most.......especially those from Cov and Brum!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I think Neville has a point about us being too efficient at catching.

A one rod limit or on some waters say artificial lure only might be the way to go. Such rules will certainly not stop the most competant anglers catching lots of pike.

This certainly works in many other countries of the world, the USA for example.

P

paul williams 2

Do as i do not as i say eh Ron (not aimed at you Ron).......it's easy to tell others how to do it when we have had the chance to do it our way.....and to hell with the future so long as we catch our hearts desire today?

Who has been more "efficient" at catching pike than Nev?........what right do we have to tell the next generation how to do it?

Everest is now close to being a tip......because we like to emulate our hero's!

C

Chris Bishop

Haven't read it Keith, will try and get one tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads-up.

keora

Reaction score
Sometimes I struggle to get a pike on a winters day, and typically I average between one and two fish per day when piking - so I can't say that I'm highly efficient at piking.

Perhaps what Neville Fickling means is that some pike anglers devote all their spare time and money to piking. So if you're off piking two or three times a week, and scour the UK in search of waters that have recently produced outstanding fish, then you're going to build up experience and become highly efficient.

mark barrett 2

Reaction score
ron,

with all respect mate, why on earth does it have to be lure only.
personally i get rather sick of all the patronising lure anglers that think that theres is the way forward and that lures are less damaging to pike and Pike fishing than bait fishing.
at the end of the day the danger or problem is with the guy handling the rod, NOT the method.
jeez

D

David Marrs

Heyyup Fella's,

Bish - could you send me a copy of the article please mate? I have to say it sounds an interesting read. Alf Green the old KLAA bailiff used to have a chuckle about the young Nev and his fishing in bygone days.

Is Alf still kicking around? I haven't seen him in a few years, anyone else bumped into him???

Kind regards,
Dave

F

Fred Bonney

jeez mark,touchy, Ron say's... 'say artificial lure only'
Sounds like a for instance to me.

D

David Marrs

Sorry Bish,

My address should hopefully be with you later on this week fella, I've dropped you a line, its in the post!

Kind regards,
Davester
PS The fishing here is pants!!!

R

My suggestion that artificial lure only, is only that, A suggestion.

A lot of pike anglers tend to think that artificial lures do not catch big pike. Try telling that to Gord Burton, Charlie Bettell, or my old mate Derek Gibson. These guys have caught more 20s and 30s than hundreds of pike anglers who have only ever used bait.

I am certainly not against bait fishing for pike as most of my piking is done this way, but I do think that the potential for lures in this part of the world is un-explored.

Sure, you need to learn a whole new set of skills to become a really effective lure angler but the advantage is that you cover more water and probably expose your lure to more big pike than the average dead or livebaiter.

I am right in saying that some of the great pike anglers of the past eventually became lure only men. Jim Vincent, Charles Thurlow-Craig, Alfred Jardine and a few others come to mind. Even Barrie Rickards spends most of his pike fishing time with a lure rod in his hand.

It's the same with the fly only rule on trout fisheries. Sure, the first time you take it up you catch nothing or very little. But there's nothing to stop you learning the art.

Is there?

R

And my friend Matt Brown has had some wonderful catches of perch on lures lately.

C

Chris Bishop

Dave, I couldn't get round to getting it in the end but I'll try and find you one. Take care mate.

C

Charlie Bettell

In my opinion, for what it's worth, there is a time and place for all methods.

Personally, I would get very board lure fishing all the time - I like to leger fish, float fish, or troll baits from time to time.

I also love my fly fishing - i.e. for pike, chub, sea trout, rainbows and brows, and various other species.

Never be 'blinkered' I say!!