Magpies

J

john ledger

I know farmers used to shoot this bird and i know they have increased dramatically in my area.
My bird boxes have not been used this year for the first time and i can only put it down to magpies in my garden area.
Anybody else have the same problem and what are your views on this bird .
Personally i dont like the bird

P

paul williams 2

Kill them!.........bring their numbers back into balance and then let them be!

Without a doubt they are desendents of those raptors we saw on jurassic park!

marcus ballam

Reaction score
It is quite common for Magpies to increase and decrease their numbers. This is due to the amount of availible food eg sparrows. When the magpies have eaten all the spuggies, they die off, and the sparrows increase again. And so the cycle begins again.....

P

paul williams 2

Problem is though Marcus they don't just target spugs,?......but interestingly i see more blue tits now than ever in my life.........i also see more woodpeckers...who predate on blue tits! so i know you are right mate.

J

john ledger

Its the blue tits that are not nesting in the boxes anymore and i like the tits more than i like the magpie

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

The Monk would agree with you there.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Are you sure it's not the Poles nicking them?

P

paul williams 2

John.......decent air gun, and hang the result for the other raptors to see? ;)

J

john ledger

Been thinking of that Paul because these birds are killers.
I have a Sparrow Hawk that comes on a regular basis but in all honesty i dont mind because it eats to live.

J

John McLaren

Magpies have been on the increase generally for some years. When I was a kid there were one or two areas of woodland/parkland we could see then and they were a real delight (they are beautiful birds if you ignore their bullying character!) these days they are everywhere.

By way of balancing the view though, I spent last week in the northern Lake District - mainly Keswick, and never saw a magpie, in their place are loads of Jackdaws!

Ginger

Reaction score
They`ve certainly increased in numbers in the last 3 - 4 years,but nature has it`s own way of balancig things without mans interference.
Do you remember the Pike cull in the 80`s in the Fens, did more bloody harm than good.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Nature always balances and the maggie and jack-daw fill similar niches in different surroundings

I have however culled many magpies and domestic ca.....well less of that anyway!

J

john ledger

I have him employed separating my Paliminos from my wild deer at the moment Lord Paul, just topside of my third lake down near my trout stream on my 30 acre boundary.
Just cannot get the right people these days

Lord Paul

Reaction score
I'll have my man Ron come over if you like - terribly nice chap, but goes on about South Africa a bit if you let him. He'll be the chap in the bush hat.

J

john ledger

Should hve thrashed the bounder like i did in the good old days

Lord Paul

Reaction score
You have to give is a little leaway, old chap got caught out without his bush hat in the midday sun and has never been fully sane since.

Dam nice chap till he's had a drink though

J

john ledger

Bloody serving wench will get her arse smacked if she pulls my ale short again

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Sounds like I'd better send the downstairs maid as well John sh'e quite game if your feeling frisky