Mono Hooklink material

Philip Willan

Reaction score
Ive currently been looking at the Daiwa Super G-Line which the 11lb has a diameter of 0.20mm and the 12.8lb has a .22mm diameter.

Also ive been looking at the Shimano Ultegra Silk Shock which is 11.8lb with a .22mm diameter.

Im using it to make up hair rigs for barbel fishing and im just wondering if anyone has any expirence or know anything about them?

Thanks

W

Wolfman Woody

I don't know of these lines, but the diameters you quote seem very fine, more akin to 4-6lbs line.

Is diameter important to you? Just that I've been testing some new fluorocarbon line (not on the market yet) stated at 10lbs with a diameter of .27mm. I catch quite a few barbel on it as I have with even thicker lines.

Philip Willan

Reaction score
Ive never fished with flurocarbon and ive only just starting using braid and understanding about the different types of it so to think about flurocarbon seems a little over my head at this stage.

Ive always thought that you might as well buy line with a lower diameter which you can get hold of which is good quality and at the breakign strain you wanted. Is that correct?

Ive caught a barbel on 12lb mainline line before but doesnt lower diameter mean less chance of the fish seeing the line?

Thanks for the help by the way Woody

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about which hooklength you use, as long as it's a reasonable mono, it will be ok. Don't use braid though. If you do, you won't for long.

I'd concentrate on getting a good knot.

Philip Willan

Reaction score
Why whats wrong with braid? I talk to some people who say cheap braid can cause alot of damage to the fish and is useless. I talk to other people who say its brilliant and they use it alot and havnt had a problem.

C

chris 2

I use braid for barbel fishing no problems.I only switch over to mono/flurocarbon when the swim is very snaggy.

fred hall

Reaction score
I'm happy with Kryston Silkworm braid for hooklengths when barbel fishing.

W

Wolfman Woody

Braid is perfectly ok if you're using bolt rigs because 99 times out of 100 the hook will be in the front (or even the side) of the lip and the braid well away from the fish's mouth. Using other methods with braid, you may get the hook well inside the mouth and the line can start to cut the flesh around the scissors.

I believe, Ric, you fish the Ribble a lot which is full of sharp stones, yes? Hence braid is probably not right for you, but I've had no trouble with it.

Doesn't matter that the line is fluorocarbon or plain monofilament, it's a matter of whether the fish sees it and fluoro has pretty near the same refractive index as water. The diameter can affect the strength of the line in a shock test. Thinner diameter lines tend to have the stretch kicked out of them and in a shock will break more readily than with thicker, stretchier lines.

Just a point, but most lines on sale are completely inaccurate as far as breaking strains go. Many will break way above the stated BS and quite a few well below. Test them for yourself with a cheapish set of scales.

Philip Willan

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, i always fish with either with quite a longish semi fixed bolt rig or just a free running rig is this ok with braid? I do use a size 8-6 hook size weather that helps?

Im currently using .33 mainline 12lb mono and have had 1 barbel on it (in very clear conditions) and 1 run although i have only used it for two sessions. Do you think thats ok then?

W

Wolfman Woody

Should have mentioned it's also the use of a hair rigged bait that will catch the fish in the lip almost every time.

This because the fish suck in the bait and by nature will turn instantly to guard it's meal. As soon as it does the hook, which is close to the front of it's mouth still whilst the bait is further back. pricks the lip causing a further bolting reaction. The weight of the bolt rig then pulls the hook in completing the process.

So long as the hooklink isn't much more than 12" it should be fine. The free running rig is more difficult to judge, but try it. Whenever I've fished with meat to the hook direct I find more fish hooked inside the mouth, but then I'm on mono too.

keora

Reaction score
Philip, I've had unexplained breakages on lines with high breaking strains relative to diameter.

I now test the breaking strain of all the lines after I buy them. The results aren't encouraging. If you buy standard monofil by firms such as Drennan, Maxima, Bayer then the actual breaking strains are usually a bit higher than the BS quoted on the spool.

If you buy high tec lines with a high ratio of breaking strain to diameter, in my view manufacturers are more likely to exagerate the breaking strains in order to increase their sales.

The Diawa BS of 11lb seems suspiciously high for a diameter of 0.20mm.

For example

Drennan 7lb Double strength, 0.205 mm has an actual BS of 6.5lbs when I did tests on it.

Pro Gold 6.5lb, 0.21 mm has an actual BS of 5.4lb.

I suggest the Diawa BS might be around 6lb unless it's made of some miraculous material.

There's a simple solution - buy a spool and test it with a spring balance at home, take it back to the shop if it doesn't reach the claimed BS.

Philip Willan

Reaction score
Thats what i thought at first. Because ive got a load of other stuff to buy as well and that i would have to buy it online ive decided that im going to try the current mono ive got and see how that gets on, im also going to get some braid when conditions permit me to use it.

Thanks everyone