Smartcast Boat ?

Reaction score
Hi all, ok so I have a smartcast, now I know a lot of people don't like them but I've done my fair share of wading, and plumbing but in truth there is no better way of mapping out the bottom on a big deep featureless swim than with sonar, so please lets not get into the whole is smartcast cheating debate please. Only problem with the smartcast is that I find in flowing water you don?t have a great deal of control, particularly in windy conditions. I quite like those bait boats with the sonar built in but there is no way on gods green earth that I would pay a grand, for what is simply a toy boat. So, I'm toying with the idea of attaching my smartcast float to a radio controlled boat, so I can accurately position and manoeuvre the thing. Problem is I have absolutely no idea how to do it, first I thought that I would tow it from the back of the boat but I was worried that the bubbles coming off the propeller would bugger up the sonar readings. Then I thought that I would attach it to the side of the boat but I thought it would destabilize the boat and it could capsize. Then I thought maybe I could some how mount it in the hull, by cutting a hole in the bottom of the boat and filling an holes with silicone or fibre glass but there is still the worry about destabilizing the boat. So I got to thinking the maybe I could dismantle the float and some how mount the electronics on the boat. Then I got stuck so I was hoping that there are some boffins out there that could give me some advice or ideas on how to go about this little project.

Many thanks

Rich

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

A piece of string about 3ft long Richard. I have seen it done and it seems to work.