removing hooks

NIGE K

Reaction score
has any one caught a fish and not been able to remove the hook what happens in this situation whats the best thing to do.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

A very rare occurence except when the fish has swallowed the bait.

Always carry a pair of strong wire cutters. In the case of an eyed hook, cut the eye off and thread the hook out of the fish by pushing the hook pount right through.

NIGE K

Reaction score
so if it does swallow it is it best to cut the line and leave it in

Beecy

Reaction score
unavoidable sometimes Jonny

unfortunately Nige, in that situation there isnt much option available - unless anyone knows any different?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Yes Nige.
If the fish has swallowed the hook right down. You have no choice but to cut the line. That's all you can do.

T

The Monk

it it has not been swallowed and you are still having difficulty, cut off the eye or spade and remove the hook backwards. Pike can be a problem with deep hooking, I`m not intouch with modern pike trends but I beleive you can pull the stomac up without causing injury, you have to know what you are doing though,

captain carrott

Reaction score
pike should never be a problem with deep hooking, the only way you will deep hook one is to have bad bite indication, or be using deadbaits in summer both of which are a nono in my opinion.

perch on the other had can swallow a bait right down to it's arse before you can blink.

but here you have to be really carefull as the heart is quite shallow and thurning the hook can easily kill the fish.

Beecy

Reaction score
I may be doing wrong here and dont mind if anyone puts me right..

but on the very rare ocasion i have had a hook go in out of disgorger range, because most of my fishing is done with light lines (2lb hook length is tow rope to me)and fine wire hooks, rather than cut the line I will give it a quick tug for a break.Going on the theory that the line will go at the knot therefore leaving less in the fish, or the hook will straighten and come out.

C

Chris Bishop

pike should never be a problem with deep hooking, the only way you will deep hook one is to have bad bite indication, or be using deadbaits in summer both of which are a nono in my opinion.

Why is it more of a problem in summer..?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Chris, I am no way as experienced as you when it comes to pike, but I have always been told deadbaiting for pike in the summer is a big nono.
My understanding of this, is that they are much more active and are much more likely to scoff a bait right down!
Fishing with lures will avoid this problem.

So is it true or not?

captain carrott

Reaction score
is it not true that they tend to wolf a static bait down much quicker in summer chris.
thus giving you much less opportunity to strike early.

T

The Monk

rather than cut the line I will give it a quick tug for a break.Going on the theory that the line will go at the knot therefore leaving less in the fish, or the hook will straighten and come out.

a bit dodgy I would think? usually better to cut the line and leave a bit proud of the mouth, the old theory being it allows leaverage for the fish to lose the hook (a lot of variables of course, its no clean cut). The knot is the weakest link of course but you may have to exert too much pressure to do this.

T

The Monk

the old theory on summer piking was that the specie used to stress more in the summer months, this inturn could cause red spot, not sure what the thinking is these days though, but pike have traditionally been a winter specie, I supose this was for a reason originally, but i dont know what that reason is?

T

The Monk

On gorge species, pike eel and perch have an habit (no pun) on eating a bait in situ, rig and indication dependant of course.

Beecy

Reaction score
I take your point about about the pressure needed for a break Monk. but I must stress i am talking about 1 lb - 1.5 lb lines here. Bit hard to explain, but I thimk a very quick pull is like the whipping a table cloth from under a set of plates trick. Ive tried it today as I was packing up with a hook nicked in the end of my finger, a slow pull and the hook breaks the skin and you feel it, a quick pull and the line breaks and you feel nothing

I suppose hers no ideal solution, deep hokig is just one of those things we have to accept now and then

T

The Monk

sorry, I though you were talking about much higher breaking strains

Beecy

Reaction score
what do you think though Monk about this, do you reckon this is ok or would it still be best to cut the line ?

( I hope I dont sound like this is a regular ocurance, ive only done this about twice in hundreds, if not thousands of fish caught )

T

The Monk

just in case the hook has lodged near or around an organ Beccy I would choose cutting the line