Carp / Mullet fishing help required

Blunderer

Reaction score
I have been searching the forum for any tips on fishing in Majorca, and founda few threads discussing catching mullet inthe harbours. I also saw mention of a carp lake in Pollensa. Does anyone know anything about this? I can't find anything on the web.

Also, if anyone has any tips on getting the mullet in this area, it would be much appreciated. Whenever I fish abroad I invariably end up getting hammered by tiny fish.

alex laurie

Reaction score
Don't know the area, but I have caught plenty of mullet in the Med, the Aegean etc.

I use nothing but bread. Try to find a spot where you can see that there are decent fish, rather than fishing off the rocks. I usually go snorkelling, but take a loaf in with me. That way you can literally have the mullet eating out of your hand. It is a great way to find out where the fish are and good fun too.
Using this technique I found a spot on a beach in Crete, where I had 2 pounders one a chuck, to the amazement of the local kids. I ended up giving all my light line and small hooks away to them! This was off the main beach in Elounda, but after the sun was off the water and the beach was emptying.
Harbours are a good place to fish, rather than off the rocks, although you won't want or be allowed to go snorkelling in the harbour. Another good bet is a pebble beach. Sand is not so good in my experience.

For tackle I take a selection of floats and usually use about a 4AAA waggler with a 12 hook. Use flake rather than paste, or you'll get loads of tiny black fish which live close to the bottom.
You will however as you say, get pestered by small fish and the mullet are bigger in some resorts than they are in others.
Most of my better fish have come in the evenings, once things are a bit quieter.

Probably the main thing is to take plenty of bread and don't be frugal with feeding.

Best of British, Alex

D

david bruce 1

Good fishing off the rocks by the LHS side of the beach(and good car park) and past the shops in Cala San Vincente. Jus tover the mountian from Porta and just off the road to it. Bread is easiest . The furhter round the bigger the fish

J

john ledger

I go to Cala San Vicente a lot and like David says around the headland its full of them,very deep clear water.
There are two platforms or overhangs for diving off so dont fish around there Blunderer or you might just see me flying through the air into your swim.
Cala San Vincente is the pretties place on the Island

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

John, the image of you arcing through the air as you gently swan dive into the Med has brought a smile to my face!

J

john ledger

Twenty years ago Nigel i used to dive off the top overhang and its very high.These days i just jump and shout "GERONIMO"

B

Bully

Personally I'd enjoy the holiday and forget the fishing......

captain carrott

Reaction score
there's nowt wrong with getting a bit of mulleting in, in the evening, in spain.

unlike in christchurch harbour spanish mullet are very obliging and you actually stand a chance of catching one. instead of them driving you insane like dorset fish do.

davestocker

Reaction score
If you feed heavily with bread (floating, torn from a loaf, lots of small pieces fed in for about half an hour) you may eventually get the Dorades (a sea bream) coming up from lower in the water to take bread on the surface. You know they're there when the water starts violently 'exploding' where your feed is! The fish have small mouths, so fish a small piece of bread on a size 12 hook, 12-18 inches under a float, amongst your free offerings. These fish can be very good to eat.

R

Rod MacAskill

If you go to a place called La Colobra in the north of the island there is a pool which has formed from high tides from the sea over the years. The pool is full of mullet,both grey and golden, which are very obliging on float fished bread. I took a telescopic rod and a loaf of bread 15 years ago and caught a succession of fish to around 2lb. I went back again last year and it was a similiar story.