Fish farmer's lifeline as virus hits Nidderdale

I

Ian Cloke

Fish farmer's lifeline as virus hits Nidderdale

A NIDDERDALE fish farmer has described the ?tremendous pressure? his business has faced since the outbreak of a deadly fish virus last May.

David Gotto, owner of Glasshouses Trout Farm, said trade restrictions enforced by DEFRA on him and 33 other local fish farms has meant he has had to employ extra staff to cope.

Meanwhile, Nidderdale Trout Farm, where the virus was first discovered, is still closed until further notice.

?We have only been able to sell fish that are gutted because our farm is right in the heart of where the initial infection was,? said Mr Gotto. ?This has created tremendous pressure for us and other restricted fish farms, both labour wise and financially.?

Before the outbreak of the fish virus, Viral Haemorrhagic Septicaemia (VHS), Mr Gotto said he had been able to sell live and whole fish to eat, as well as gutted fish across the country.

But he says quarantine restrictions on his farm and 33 others have meant live fish have not been allowed to be moved outside of the Yorkshire Ouse catchment area.

This, he says, has meant fish farmers, who do not gut fish to eat, have had to keep fish on their farms.

The fish have grown rapidly in size and their quality has deterioratated.

The British Trout Industry says many of the Yorkshire Ouse fish farms deal in mainly live fish to either restock angling rivers or to sell to fish farms elsewhere.

But Mr Gotto says his farm has been fortunate in that it is one of only four in the UK to sell gutted fish to the supermarket.

So he has still been able to move his gutted fish outside the restricted Yorkshire Ouse area.

Nidderdale Trout Farm, Low Laithe, near Pateley Bridge, was where the first case of the deadly fish virus was discovered.

The farm is run by Scot Trout Farm Ltd, who own 16 trout farms across Scotland and the UK.

?Scot Trout Farm Ltd are possibly the only organisation in the UK that could have survived the VHS infection,? said Mr Gotto.

?We are fortunate we can sell our gutted fish to Morrisons.?

messer

Reaction score
Tremendous pressure!!!! what a load of shit, the man is a millionaire, and as for employing more staff, yeah shipping more poles in that he's found trawling the internet.

C

Colin North, the one and only

Sounds like you know the man messer!

messer

Reaction score
You could say that. He's a multi millionaire who rides around in an f reg Saab.

I worked for him for a while, his site is an absolute disgrace, and downright dangerous, I am utterly amazed that he's never had a member of staff been killedYou just would not believe how bad the health and safety was on the place. I asked him to put up some spotlights to help me see the site whilst checking stock on a night, he bought me a torch. I slipped into an inlet channel in flood, he laughed. I worked all night during floods, he paid me nothing, not even my fuel to get there. I worked after hours and got no thanks no money no nothing.Quite frankly he is possibly the biggest a*s*h*le I have ever met.

C

Colin North, the one and only

Perhaps you should tell him so. The Health & Safety people might be interested in this if it is as bad as you say. Being that he is such a generous type, if it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to inform them.