Hair rigs,for Chub?

rustcrow

Reaction score
I have heard that hair rigs are not very effective for Chub fishing , if anyone could shed some light on the matter,cheers

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
The reason Mr Crow is that chub pick up baits with their lips whereas carp and barbel etc.. suck in their food like little aquatic hoovers.

Chub will quite often pick up a hair rigged bait but may well drop it without getting hooked.

I have caught chub on hair rigs while after barbel but if I was targetting chub I'd either band the bait onto the hook or use a hookable bait.

W

Wolfman Woody

Agree with Paul except to say that all fish can taste food from outside their mouths, but especially on their lips in the case of chub.

So they tend to mouth the bait with just their lip, hence what appear as false bites because the hook on a hair rig hasn't gone insde the mouth. As he say above, tighten up the bait to the hook and you might catch more.

You can band the bait onto the hook in the case of a hard pellet or alternatively, try these new Mistral Soft Dusted Halibut pellets side hooked. That way the hook's definitely in their mouth.

When they want the food all fish (including pike) are just a bunch of suckers.