Pole fishing

P

paul williams 2

My lad loves to get out on the local waters with his cousins and uses a 5m whip most of the time.

I know a lot of big fish anglers haven't much time for them but my lad has really made me think about my own fishing......i do love a long session on a large water but nowadays i don't always have the time....but with a decent whip/short pole we can be up and fishing in no time.

I could never take to this time of fishing if it were for bits all the time but the last couple of seasons have really opened up my eyes to this method for big roach it lends itself perfectly and succsefully.........many local 2lb+ fish are falling to the style.

Anyone using poles to specificly target big fish......other than carp!?

Joskin

Reaction score
I use it for Tench. The presentation and accuracy cant be equaled by any other method.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Paul, on one of my local club venues the pole is the by far and away the best method for the large Rudd and Crucians especially for placing a bait exactly where you want it, and keeping it there.

I have also used the pole a fair bit for the bigger Roach on the Hampshire Avon combined with the 'lollipop' float and had some reasonble success particularly at the end of last season.

I virtually always have a couple of whips in my holdall regardless of where I am going.

P

paul williams 2

Peter, thats just the sort of thing i am thinking of, there are times when long range feeder fishing is the only way to get to grips with big fish, but there is nothing like up close and personal.

Up untill now i relied on my running line rods, but my trials with the whip up till now have been eye opening......and i'm not very profecient at it!

I presume on the Avon you are fishing to the length of the pole and following the float down, holding back just enough....must shorten your swim length down.....but care of feeding and enhanced presentaion pulls em up?

captain carrott

Reaction score
regularly landed 10 to 20 lb of small fish from the thames a couple of years ago with the odd lb plus roach in there fishing the top 5 or 6 sections. it was fun while waiting for dusk and the feeder fishing to start.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Similar to Peter, I've used a pole to pretty good effect with Crucians on a local stillwater. Had reasonable success before, but this summer I've had better catches, being able to present the bait right alonside an overhanging tree and with finer tackle.

Also used the pole on my local River Blackwater, much smaller than the Avon! Nice Roach, Chub and Perch from swims which were quite difficult to fish with a running line.

G

Gary Knowles

"many local 2lb+ fish are falling to the style"

Brummie...p..l..e..a..s..e.. tell me where...

P

paul williams 2

Been away a while!.........i know Barney! all the years i have turned my nose up at the pole/whip!.......but it's true, lots of 2lb roach within a 20mile radius of my home have sucumbed!

At least one of the waters is stuffed with small roach and fishing it with running line produces loads of small fish........but the whip close in finds gems that get missed.

P

paul williams 2

PS.....my nipper had a cracking crucian and outfished his running line cousins this week with his 5m whip!..........i was at work :(((((

D

DAN .

i use my pole on rivers and my local stretch of cannal for alot of my fishing .
but by far its ideal for bream, tench, carp, and dare i say small barbel due to presentation abilities as long as you are prepared to practice you will reap the benifits of this method.