Need some advice please

R

Richie Meldrum

Hi all , some years ago i inherited a Hardy Jet 2 piece fly rod and a Hardy Viscount 140 reel from my Grandfather .I really dont have the patience for fly fishing and was looking to sell ..probably on ebay but have no idea how much to ask ??
Both are in excellent condition . If you could advise me how much roughly they are worth it would be much appreciated. Thanks

F

Fred Bonney

Do a search on ebay and keep an eye on the auction the rod is in there and 2 reels at least.
If the rod or reel has any value it will find its level if you list it correctly.

Dave Pearce

Reaction score
lots of buyers will be intrested in anything hardy, before u put it any where for sale look on hardys site they will give u a fair estimate + links to genuine collectors

Fred Blake

Reaction score
As a rough guide the rod should fetch between ?40 and ?80 depending on length and line rating (shorter, lighter ones tend to reach higher prices) with a realistic ceiling of about ?100.

I assume the Viscount is the caged MkI version, in which case expect to get around ?25 to ?40; if it's the later MkII with exposed rim (identical to the current Rimfly in design, but about half the weight) it may get a bit more, but not much over ?50.

To be honest, unless you are certain fly fishing is not something you'll ever want to do, I'd be inclined to keep 'em. You don't have to fly fish for trout after all; take it out on a small river and have some fun with the dace and chub.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Amen to Fred's last paragraph!
You said "I really dont have the patience for fly fishing", but it really is the ideal form of fishing for the impatient angler, if you have any suitable water nearby - give it twenty miutes, if they're not having it, mow the lawn or whatever!
It's also a very busy, involving kind of fishing - as you walk to the water, you're on the look-out for cobwebs, to show you what's hatched recently, and once you're there, you're scanning the water, trying different retrieves and patterns of fly - by the time you run out of patience, it's usually way past when you should have packed up!
Patience is for when you're doing it wrong.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

The last thing you want with any form of fishing is patience.

**** Walker hit it on the head when he said that what you do need is "controlled impatience."

G

Grant Lever

Being a nosey bugger i would be interested to know the model of rod...these came out about 1964 as i recall,designed by the American Tarrantino,world casting champion of the time..using the (new) Phenolic resin fibreglass ....if the transfers are intact should fetch about ?70,as fred says.but you just never know on ebay.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Sounds like these were made on Fenwick blanks, probably the first company to use phenolic resins.

G

Grant Lever

Think your'e right ron,seems to ring some distant bell....mine was a 9ft. #6 lovely rod,cost ?17-17s-6d. bloody fortune in those days,they ruled the roost for a few short years till Grafham opened (66) then **** walker brought out the 9!3" reservoir superlite and bruce and walker also brought out some nice rods and distance casting was borne lol...Robbo banned shooting heads (and buckets &brollies )at Eye brook ,also changed stocking policy ,waited till grafham opened before any major stocking,and walker refused to go anymore............