Photo help.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need help!
What is the optimum size to re-size a photo to, to email it on?
I had Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0, but I've blitzed and lost it (plonker!).

I've got a thumbnail programme but it shrinks the pics way too small.
I am completely buggered and need to get it sorted, or I won't be able to enter any of my catches into the FM Charity Fishing Race.

Please help, are there any free programmes I can download and can you please give me instructions how to use them.

Thanks in advance.
Steve.

captain carrott

Reaction score
print it out full size then use the scissors to cut off 3 or 4 inches from round each edge before scanning it back into your computer will make the image smaller.

L

little sister ( Jeff )

Sounds like Mr Carrott knows what hes talking about.
Now all i have to do is email the pic's of last nights barbel to my computer, from my phone.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
There are these though...

FxFoto

Basic Digital Photography . com

The first is a program download page and the second is a site that gives advice and links to other recommended free programs.

I usually change my photos to about 150dpi and around 6x4 inches then save them as highish quality jpegs to e-mail. Depends on whether you're broadband or not and whether the person you're sending them too is as well. The faster the connection and if your e-mail provider has no size limits you can send owt you like

C

Chris Bishop

Best size for web is around 600 - 800 pixels on the longest size.

If you knock resolution down to 72 dpi they also load faster.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
To make a file smaller all you need to do is to take it into paint (windows) then save it as a jpeg image that will reduce the file size considerably. It also reduces the quality slightly so if you wish to keep the original just click the file and copy it and then alter the copy file in paint.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Cheers Chris, I need to get this sorted, a bit sharpish!
I've now got Arcsoft photoimpression 4, I sent one to Pikey@6-4,150 dpi.
Hope it worked.

C

Chris Bishop

To make a file smaller all you need to do is to take it into paint (windows) then save it as a jpeg image

image/size in photoshop is far simpler, as is call it up in PS and do a save for web, which sizes it and adjusts the resolution automatically, just keep the quality slider on the high side.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
That looks a handy programme Wol have you used it yourself? I like the fact that it leaves the original pic as it was, which saves making a copy to work on.

One of the drawbacks of downloading free programmes is that they can come with a load of unwanted stuff, not saying this is one of those but its always worth bearing in mind.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I've had it sometime now and its fine, had no problems.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Graham I did mate, honest!

I'm not the sharpest chisel in the box, when it comes to pc's (as most will know!)
It gave me an error message, so bright spark thought right, uninstall/re-install.
Bright spark can't find the install disk! I think it came installed on the pc?

So know dopey is panicking cos he can't send any pics to the FM fishing race.

If the offer is still there Graham I would be very, very grateful.

I'm gonna have a look at Wols link too, but I'm probably too thick to download it!
Cheers Wol.
;-)