Winter carping.

C

Carp Angler

With the first bite of cold weather upon us, it's important to keep that bait trickling in, or are most of you giving it up for the winter and turning your attentions to more traditional cold weather species?

C

Cakey

Rik
I think winter is the best time of year ,all the fair weather carpers gone,lakes empty of fishermen,bit muddy here and there but I can put up with that.
Bigger carp seem to feed .
The only thing I do different is I dont trickle, I prefer a good single hook bait well glugged up,cast to a known summer feeding spot.
A new lake is a different kettle of fish.

CAKEY
PS what bait you using through the winter,Ive had such a good summer on particles I dont know whether to stick with them or not.

C

Carp Angler

Tigers and hemp is a sure winner in the winter, just don't pile in too much of the stuff.

Single glugged pop-ups work well too.

But if you don't keep bait going in then the carp tend to switch off the feed for several months.

C

Carp Angler

OK so they don't totally turn off, but when I've kept the bait going in I've caught 3 times more fish over the whole winter.

C

Cakey

When you say keep the bait going in do you mean same as hook bait i.e. boilies if you use them if so how many round each hook bait ????

CAKEY

C

Carp Angler

Keep them going in when I'm not fishing, bait doesn't have to be the same as the hookbait, just as long as you keep feeding the right spots.

Quantity depends on head of carp, plus number of active nuisance fish.

C

Cakey

So hard to keep it going in with the hours Im doing at the moment.
have to send the wife.are you at work now ??

CAKEY

W

Wendy Perry

Rik i went carping yesterday and last week and both times i have blanked but i'm not gonna give up on them i love carp fishing but, i think i will have to try something else if i keep blanking thru the winter. I know what your'e saying by keep baiting it up even when your not going fishing for maybe two days but there isn't anywhere close enough to me where i go carp fishing so it gets quite difficult to do that.

ah well i shall plod on :eek:)

C

Cakey

Blanks are part of it !
If every time I went I knew what I was going to catch I would soon get cheesed off.

CAKEY

A

Andy Davis

I'm going to keep going...Can't use Tigers @ Frimley...any other idea's Rik ?

S

Steve Burke

If I fished for one species all year round I'd be bored stiff! So far this year I've fished for perch, pike, tench, carp and mullet.

For me carp are strictly a summer fish. Now I'm just about to start my perch fishing, which will get better and better until it peaks in March. I'll also be going piking a fair bit, and will possibly have the odd trip for roach, rudd or chub.

C

Carp Angler

Who mentioned only fishing for one species?

I fish for all species, it's just that I continue to carp fish throughout the winter.
If people choose to fish for carp 12 months a year then that is their perogative and you shouldn't judge them on it.

I don't think you should be bringing your AN anti carp attitude onto this forum.

C

Cakey

Rik
Not knowing Frimley like you do but could Andy try popped up sweetcorn ?
Ive been using 3pieces of real sweetcorn and 1piece of the false look alike stuff
which I soak over night with several other bits in the sweetcorn juices.

And Steve just to add a bit to what Rik said you are on the CARP FORUM.

Off to a new lake now for a reccie (dunno about the spelling on that one)that Ive just managed to get a 1/2 season ticket for !

CAKEY

S

Steve Burke

Sorry if I offended anyone, I'm not used to posting on a carp only Forum. I certainly didn't mean to come across as anti-carp, which I'm not. As I pointed out in my last post I do fish for carp myself.

S

Steve Burke

To make amends, here's an observation which might be of some use to wintercarp anglers.

Going over a variety of waters in winter with a fishfinder I'm noticed a lot of carp well off the bottom. It's hard to always positively identify the species, but until I put a few pike in this year the Carp Lake at Wingham contained nothing but carp plus the odd eel. So these at least must be carp.

Again when perch fishing with worm in the winter on a variety of waters, I've rarely caught carp on a ledger. However, they do turn up quite often on paternosted worm, sometimes several feet off the bottom.

Have any carp anglers noticed this?

M

Malcolm Bason

"Have any carp anglers noticed this?"

I had'nt realised this Steve - an interesting observation, and one I will be taking into account throughout this coming winter when I will be continuing to fish for carp!

Going back to keeping the bait trickling in: I will usually stick to stringers - and no little patience!! Probably spod (depending on distance) hemp around chosen swim and some broken up boilies.

Anyone recommend a good proven winter boilie? Apart from tutti-fruity?

C

Carp Angler

I still use A-8 thru the winter as I don't put in that much.

Previous winters when I've fed a lot of boilies I've had good success on milk/seed mixes over flavoured with Hutchy Chocolate Malt.