Poole

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Hi,all, could anyone please advise me on short session (Dad sneaks off..) fishing around Poole - I'm being holidayed at Rockley Park next week (20/8 on)?
Coarse, sea or fly, don't mind, but can't take too much kit!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Alan,

You will only be just down the road from the Royalty at Christchurch.

The best man to help though would be Mark as he knows the area like the back of his hand.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Within walking distance is a lake owned by Poole Council that's free fishing. It's deep (old clay pit) and has carp to doubles plus rudd + ???. Poole Quay alongside marina near Nelson pub (park in multistorey nearby) worth a go for big mullet float fishing bread alongside piles. Take bucket with string to get water to create bread mash and trickle in, plus long handled landing net - good luck 'cos I got smashed by the biggest mullet I've seen down there the other day - that's only 2 miles away and short walk from car park. For Mullet an avon rod plus 6lb line, size 8's plus loaf & landing net & bucket, few floats and shot, that's travelling light.

Royalty is crowded and may not get ticket later in the day, also a long drive across Poole/Bournemouth.

B

Bully

How about Sea Bass?? I cannot remember where it was, but I saw a program from near Poole about Bass fishing. Method was using a lure that imitated sand eels I think.

B

Bill Cox

i was you Alan i,d take all my gear and my car and get to the ferry terminal and go to france / Spain. Good fishing out there.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Alan,

it looks like you pays your money and takes your choice; a gallon of petrol and a ?9/?10 day ticket (and the need for a few hours to travel/get ticket (can take an hour to get to the Royalty from where you are staying!), and get some fishing in) or cheap/quick sessions on your doorstep.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Mark, tell me more about the mullet.Is it worth a trip?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Many thanks for all the info, Chaps!
It looks as though it'll be the Rudd and Mullet options- both because of the time factor, and because I've found out how much Herself has forked out for the week! (porridge and lentil curries til doomsday!)
My rudd PB is pretty feeble, and I've never had a mullet (went bald before they came "in"), so I shan't be short of a challenge for the week; and as Throop no longer appears to be day-ticket, and my memories of the Royalty aren't wildly fond, I shan't be weeping into my wallet!

I looked up Hamworthy/Rockley lake; it looks very deep, with only a couple of areas of gently sloping shallows, and surrounded by woodland. I suspect the shelter, the depth and the hot weather earlier this summer will have set up a very distinct thermocline, so unless I can find out where the "comfort zone" hits the slopes, I'll need to bone up on "up-in-the-water" techniques. I hope they like bread!

I'm starting to get quite excited!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

We can always carry you Graham, if its more than a yard or two!!!

Alan, Throop is still day ticket.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
At least we won't have to trudge for miles and stand up to our oxters in chest waders Nigel, handy for the pub too I bet.

I would take my skate board and you could pull me there hahaha!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Just a sorry-ar$ed update;- as is often the way, Dad only managed one morning's off-sneak, and caught more rudd in three hours than in the last five seasons, all swing-to-hand size. Still a mullet virgin, but inspired to try harder next time - many thanks for the gen, Gents!
Rockley/Hamworthy lake quite attractive, not as sheltered as I feared; a few tench and jacks in evidence. Only explored the shallow end up by the caravans.
Dorset beautiful, caravan park less so. Uncomfortable beds, curtains that don't keep out the searchlights with which Stalag Rockley is wondrously endowed. Suspect most of the price was for the "entertainments" we didn't want!
If anyone knows a "quiet" site (no "Show-Bar" or satellite-tv bar) with comfy caravans, I'd be grateful to hear of it!