Is it worth Refurbishing

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Other than sentimental value, is it really worth Refurbishing Old Rods or Reels ?

Is the cost of the refurbishment greater than what it would cost to just buy a New Rod or Reel that probably has better materials on it anyway ?

So is it, out with the Old and in with the New, or is it, out with the Old and in with the Old but with New components ?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
If it's just to go Fishing, then the answer is No.

But if you enjoy using old Rods and and Reels the the Answer is Yes !!

Bob

dezza

Reaction score
In terms of earnings and the cost of rods for example, modern rods are dirt cheap. The only type of rod I would consider refurbishing are the modern classics such as certain Drennan marques and the FM Concept.

There are those who would refurbish cane rods. For me I would probably give them to gardeners for the growing of peas.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
There are those who would refurbish cane rods. For me I would probably give them to gardeners for the growing of peas.

Yes, but that is only because you, like rods form the carboniferous age, lack SOUL.

Steph,

I've had many rods refurbished, all built and/or split cane, it is an expensive game; a full refurbishment on a MkIV being around 300 pounds.

My Wallis Super Wizard was a little more, but that was a full strip down and I wanted grass green whippings like on all of my other rods.

I use most of my rods at least once in a season, but could never justify the price on any other reasons than:

1) Beacuase I can, and want to, and

2) Cetainly not against the cost of a new (carbon) rod

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Modern rods are in fact so cheap that damaged ones are sought after as sources of rod-rings for "proper" rods, which are, of course, brown, and hexagonal for at least part of their length.:D;)

dezza

Reaction score
Yes, but that is only because you, like rods form the carboniferous age, lack SOUL

Waddeyer mean? Some of my rods have caught lots of sole.

How can a bit of dead grass or branch of a tree have soul? Set light to it and it burns quite nicely.

And most of our bodies consist of carbon and water.

:p:p:p

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I guess in the case of some Rods or Reels that the cost of the Refurb is justified as it could actually increase the overall value of the Rod or Reel if done professionally and to a specific specification.

Overall it is down to sentimentality rather than it being a cheaper option to a new rod of a similar spec.

Now, can new rods or reels be made in the guise of old rods or reels, cheaper than having old rods or reels refurbished ?

Again this is just an open, probing question that does not involve the use of Rubber Gloves, well unless of course you have stated that rubber gloves are to used in the refurbishment of your comments :D

I'm just getting rid of some of the cobwebs from your brains :D

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"Now, can new rods or reels be made in the guise of old rods or reels, cheaper than having old rods or reels refurbished ?"

You sound as one agonising over the purchase of a "Hexagraph"!

Why bother to fake old tackle? There's enough of the real stuff going round for those who remember it (and we are the real market for it); today's young anglers will doubtless recall Granddad's Enterprise, Persuader, Titan, or whatever and scour fleabay for those, should the time come when they fancy a bit of nostalgia.
Before split cane, rods had tips of lancewood or greenheart; put one of those up for auction and the postage is likely to exceed the bid price, unless it's very special. The generations who might have felt nostalgic towards them have largely passed away, and those who want to be curators of angling's past are only interested in the very best examples. Few actually use the "users" of the class..

Sic transit gloria mundi (er - possessive of "fishermen" anyone?) piscatoribi?

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Alan,

I only buy what i can afford and what is practical for my requirements when it comes to fishing, Nostalgia takes a massive back seat with me on things like that.

However, it does interest me to see some things saved and refurb'd as i do believe that Museums and their Pieces have a place amongst Fishing and other Hobbies. That is not to say that i think all old fishing tackle should be dismissed as impractical in todays modern society, but that they are just not my taste or to my liking when it comes to actually uising them.

If modern materials can be made to look like and act like older materials, but are infact stronger, lighter, and cheaper then surely it would make sense to use these items for the actual fishing and keep the more historic items for show.

I often see collectors of old fishing tackle storing them in their Fishing Studies never to be used again, but saved from destruction or loss or just adding value until they are sold at the next auction.

Anyway, it is just a thought, and not one that everyone is going to agree with.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"If modern materials can be made to look like and act like older materials, but are infact stronger, lighter, and cheaper then surely it would make sense to use these items for the actual fishing and keep the more historic items for show."
Only the exceptional items are worth keeping for show or as museum pieces - once a rod from a big-name maker has been re-ringed and re-varnished (which many anglers used to do annually as routine maintenance) it ceases to be of historic importance; it's a "user". Even more for those with a "short" top! So... we use 'em! But it isn't the look of old tackle that matters, its the feel, and the fact that we're keeping a good, old rod doing what it was made to do.
I have several carbon rods, and I'm happy with them looking like carbon (apart from anything else, you can have blue whippings on carbon and it looks great; blue on cane always looks plain wrong!), if they are the best tool for the job in hand, out they come.

But museums... well that would be another thread. 100 years ago, angling was very regionally differentiated, and I'd prefer to see displays of local tackle in local museums, with larger collections at the main manufacturing centres and "Visiting" exhibitions doing the rounds of the locals, rather than a national collection that most people can't reach.

watatoad

Reaction score
Only if you are going to use them or are doing it yourself. I have both built and refurbished many rods in all materials and I am one of the older anglers on here, but I am not a collector nor someone who lives in a nostalgic bloom with the occasional exception I still use one of my first rods and often use a fixed spool that must be 50 years old (I've had from new). That said I will admit yesterday I used my old Mitchell 308 and a Drennan 14' match pro ultralight for my first river session of the season for my second session yesterday afternoon I used a Marco Cortessi reel that I am testing and a J W Young Avon each session was about 3 hours. I thoroughly enjoyed both sessions.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's got to depend on exactly what it is you are refurbishing.
I'm in the throws of upgrading all my old match/general coarse gear. There was nothing wrong with my old stuff beyond it looking a bit tired and me now prefering screw down reels seats to rings (even though most of them were the improved Daiwa rings). I suppose that I could have got the old stuff refurbished and had screw fittings fitted but I simply didn't see the need.

However, I have a couple of older rods that I enjoy using so much that I probably will have them refurbished at some point. They are Daiwa Powermesh Avons and Daiwa Powermesh Carp rods. If I genuinely thought I could do better in a new rod then I'd probably buy new rather than refurbishing.

B

Berty

i have carbon rods that have been refurbished.....they will never be collectable in the same way as the bean canes but i loved them the blanks were fine and nothing on the market was any better.

Last ones were 3 x 11ft North Western 23/4's now with 24in full cork handles.......luverrly!

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I suppose that as long as you can justify the cost of the refurbishment then it is indeed practical to do so.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Agreed.
Something we've missed is the opportunity to tweak your gear to suit you - little things, like changing the ring positions/numbers, putting whippings - or paint/ink marks - at one-inch intervals along the butt section, so you can check your depth quickly (e.g. "second ring up the tip section, down to the butt ring, plus seven inches"), keeper rings, second butt-rings for centre-pin work, matt varnish (or not, according to taste), stains/paint, your name in Indian ink, and anything else which makes it more useful, more beautiful, and more personal.
"Soul", you might say.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed.
Something we've missed is the opportunity to tweak your gear to suit you - little things, like changing the ring positions/numbers, putting whippings - or paint/ink marks - at one-inch intervals along the butt section, so you can check your depth quickly (e.g. "second ring up the tip section, down to the butt ring, plus seven inches"), keeper rings, second butt-rings for centre-pin work, matt varnish (or not, according to taste), stains/paint, your name in Indian ink, and anything else which makes it more useful, more beautiful, and more personal.
"Soul", you might say.

I've read this 4 or 5 times now and I couldn't find a way of putting this better if I tried.

Perfect!