Shore / rock fishing in N Cornwall

Blue Sky

Reaction score
Am going on holiday next week to Porthcothan, near St Merryn in Cornwall. Tried spining off the rocks last year but only caught a small bass. Any suggestions? Where to go, what to fish etc?

I would also be interested in any nearby carp or fly fishing. Any fishing!!!! Well not boat or dep sea stuff.

Anyone help?

David Craine

Reaction score
You are going to a good area.... there are so many shore marks local to that area you will need a book...just north of Porthcothan up the hill and 1st left is a place called Treyarnon Bay... as you drive up to the Bay, there is a car park on the right below a Hotel and Bar.. Park there, and then walk up the rocks on the same side of the bay, Spinning either Sandeel, or a Rapala J11 or J13. Watch out for rogue waves, as the Atlantic can chuck up a Biggie when you least expect it..as you go further North, there is Harlyn Bay, and the rocks at either end .. known locally as Cateclews point,on the south end or "the Spike" on the North end, there are Mother Iveys Bay, Constantine Bay,Trevose Head, which has some spectacular fishing if you can climb like a Goat.Trevone Bay, Foxes Cove,which is a bit lower down the Coast but throws up some good Bass...Dont just stick to Spinning, Buy a packet of frozen sandeel, and floatfish them on 15lb line off the rocks, using a sliding float,and a size 1 Hook, you should catch Bass, Mackerel,Pollack, Wrasse, Garfish, I could go on and on, but I had better draw a line somewhere.. send me a PM if you want anything more precise.
Good Luck.

Blue Sky

Reaction score
sounds great! I am staying in Carnevas which is opposite Fox Cove but last year I could see no way down. Is there a path?