Trotting rod for Cente-pin

B

Brenig

I'm looking for a reasonably priced float rod to use with my Youngs Purist II centre pin reel. I'll be using it to trot for Grayling in the winter months.

Am I right in thinking that some of the float rods on the market are not suitable for centre pin reels?

Tight lines

John

marcus ballam

Reaction score
I use the john wilson trotting system rod, nice tippy action with loads of power in reserve. though it is only 13ft, so its more suited to smaller rivers.

J

john ledger

The best rod out although expensive is the Preston Carbonactive 15 to 17ft which will stop a train yet take the smallest roach.
I use it with the Bob James pin and Stanton for grayling and chub on the Derwent and Swale

G

Grant Lever

hi brenig,rods designed specifically for pins have the butt ring nearer to handle than usual to help guide line onto spool and also for pulling off loops for casting,same in all other respects..although some are described as stick float rods and have a "tippy" action.i.e fairly stiff in butt and middle with more give in the top 3 feet or so to avoid cracking off on the strike....you can always add an extra butt ring to any existing rod if you like,fix with tape to find best position then whip on permanently,this will have a slightly adverse effect should you wish to go back to a fixed spool.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot will depend the river that you intend to fish. As I fish the Hampshire Avon quite a lot I prefer my trotting rods to be longer than the 'usual' 13 foot models around these days. A minimum of 15 feet is what I go for every time.

The other 'must have' as far as I am concerned is a rod that has a spliced tip and not just a continuation od the hollow carbon that you find in most 'waggler' type rods.

One of my favourite rods for trotting is a (relatinely) old Tri Cast 15 foot model, but I am sure that they are no longer available generally on the market.

As John says, the Preston is a very good rod though albeit a little on the pricey side.

J

John Huntley

Try the Shakespeare Excelsior 14 foot match rod. Was about ? 135 but you can get them for about ?70. The rod is very light , great action, mends the line well and combines very well with my Okuma Sheffield - a very good combination that you can hold and trot with all day and is a pleasure to use. The rod is very well fitted out and is a lovely green blank - try one.

G

Geoff Cowen

I have the Fox Specimen 13ft Float Rod it coast me ?60 I use it with my Bob James Centre Pin and it work a treat. It is versatile enough to use for light work as well as Chub and Barbel.

B

Brenig

Thank you all very much that gives me quite a bit to think about.

As for the 15ft rods I think they maybe to long because I fish on the Welsh Dee near Corwen and there is a lot of bankside vegetation such at bushes and tree's so most of the time I'm in the water fishing so rods of around 12 to 13ft would be just about right I should think!

Tight lines

John

J

john ledger

Brenig
With a longer rod you will have far more contol of your float

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Doesn't so much matter though John if you are lucky enough to trot staright down in front of you but would agree in general.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i've used a shimano 390fa hyperloop (light waggler ) rod for a couple of years now and it has performed well for trotting with (as i beleave most light to medium waggler rods would)i was going to get the 420fa version to go with it for those slightly wider sections i fish but i got a masterline 14ft rod instead as it was lighter and thinner than the 14ft shimano hyperloop and was on sale (due to lack of original cloth bag,the shop actually gave me a cloth bag with it !!)plus i was concidering getting a leeda assassin 111 15-17ft rod as i know someone who uses one for his trotting on the trent (may still get one?)but i don't really like long rods but if you want something a little special then the Young's "J.W Young Trotter 13'0 looks very nice
ytr1300 rod

JAD

Reaction score
Thanks again. Chavender the Young rods look very nice.

By the way I've changed my name from Brenig to JAD because thats the name I use on some of the other forum's I'm on.

Tight lines

John

G

Geoff Cowen

The Young rods do look good, had on in my hands the other day and was very tempted. A bit expensive and the handle is a bit different.
Another thing to add to my shopping list.