casting lures

john hooper

Reaction score
since getting a jerk rod and multiplyer i have struggled (particularly with smaller lures)getting distance and accuracy with my casting.However i recently saw the bassmaster championship on tv(channel 844 sky freeview) and one guys casting technique has sorted the problem for me.He gets the lure on a drop of about a foot from the rod tip, swing the lure around the rod tip to load the rod(with the rod held horizontal), then with just a flick of the wrist a 30 yd cast is simplicity itself, especially good for casting from under trees as the action is almost underarm . Give it a try.

john hooper

keora

Reaction score
I used to use a 6.5ft Harris baitcaster rod. Casting with a multiplier wasn't difficult to learn. For me the problem was that the handle was so short that you couldn't easily use it two handed. This meant that I had to use it single handed and so the power transmitted to the rod and lure is less than with a double handed cast. I've tried the method you mention without it improving my casting distance. Although I must be honest and say I don't like baitcasting rods.

B

Bob Watson

I've just got shot of my light baitcasting outfit, 5' 6" rod and small Abu baitcaster, I love baitcasting outfits but for anything less than 1 oz I've gone back to a 9' spinning rod and small fixed spool with 20lb power pro. A lot easier to cast any distance, can't see the point of struggling to reach with a light baitcaster when a fixed spool set up gets you where you want to be. I fished a tiny lure for Chub and Perch a couple of days ago and had a mid double Pike out, still great fun.

keora

Reaction score
I think baitcasting has its merits - if you boat fish or use jerk baits the size of a U boat, they are fine. But for bank fishing with lightish baits I don't see what's wrong with a common or garden spinning rod.

No doubt this will be heresy to baitcasting fans, but isn't a baitcaster and multiplier just a fashion accessory ?

Gilby Gilbertson

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that baitcaster/multiplier is just a fashion accessory Keith. They are just different tool that can be used.

You are right that there is nowt wrong with a bog standard rod and spinning reel. After having gone the light weight baitcaster set up myself, I prefer the direct contact that baitcasters offer with the line direct to the fish. I like using my thumb to control the fish when it takes line off the clutch.

I'm not say they are perfect as there are issues with casting very light spinners,spinner baits and spoons in windy conditions.I just find it more enjoyable to play fish on a bait caster and isn't that the reason we go fishing, to enjoy ourselves ?

keora

Reaction score
Gilby, I was just saying it to be provocative.

In fact I think baitcasting reels (rather than rods) are lovely things to use when fixed to a spinning rod. It's the baitcasting rods that I think are a touch over-rated.

Tight lines !

Gilby Gilbertson

Reaction score
Just re-read your earlier posts and have to say that I can understand your frustration with the Harris rod. I know others will disagree but I thought they were terrible rods. I bought one and sent it back without actually using it on the bank.

I also bought a greys G-100 baitcaster and returned that as I found it very unbalanced (two piece ?) and again with the harris completly one handed butt.

After chatting on some some other forums, I was recommended Dave Lumbs Wizard stick. Can't exactly remember the recommenced casting weight but matched with a shimmy scorpion I'm casting 5gm jig head grubs upto 20gm plugs with ease. Very progressive action and a handle short enough to be comfortable one handed but enough of it to use both hands for the big chuck.

Handled everything I've hooked admirabley, pefect for perching yet the guy who recommended it has had two twenty pound pike on his.

If you are going to the PAC bash, give Dave a ring and ask if he would bring one to his stand. Might change your view on bait casting rods.

All the best.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

When I first took up lure fishing for large and small mouth bass I used a spinning rod and a fixed spool reel.

Then I bought a light bait casting outfit, learned to use it and in no time at all I skipped the spinning tackle.

It does take a hell of a lot more skill to use a small multiplier effectively, but once you are there it's by far more enjoyable and efficient. You have that feeling of direct contact with your lure and the fish when you hook it. You can also cast far more accurately. A sensitive thumb is far better at feathering down the cast than a finger on the spool of a FS reel.

To get accuracy with these reels, use the overhead flip with the axis of the spool in the vertical position. For casting under trees and bushes. learn the "side swipe" technique.

Buy a good book on lure fishing. Preferably an American book. The top Americans are world masters in this sport.

keora

Reaction score
Gilby, I'm interested to hear your comments on Harris baitcasters, you have similar views to me on the rod. I bought it because Harris has a good reputation, it a reasonable price, and the Dave Lumb rods tend to be more expensive.

I'll look at Dave Lumb's web site again.

Gilby Gilbertson

Reaction score
Keith, (did we meet at the Newport Pag LAS gathering ?) I just found the Harris rod very tippy and quite unresponsive, I'm pretty certain that the blank material is a mix of glass and carbon.

I would imagined that they gained their reputation as there was not much else comparable available at the time.

Problem with rods is that it's always a very personal thing, one mans meat and all that, but not many people say they are unhappy with rods from Dave Lumb. In regards to them being pricey, well there are a number of cliches, get what you pay for, buy cheap buy twice (I did thrice) but lets be honest, if you get a rod that suits your needs better, you keep it a damn site longer so you are getting good value.

Another advantage, being custom built you can always tweak the spec (and there is a good resale value on Lumbys, always in demand)

Best bit of advice I can give you is once you have had a nose, give Dave ring, tell him exactly what you want and see what he suggests.

keora

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. We haven't met because I'm not a member of LAS.

Have you noticed how names become dated ? - Keith was popular in the forties. I doubt if there's any tots today with the name.

Gilby Gilbertson

Reaction score
probably right about the name Keith, seems to be loads of Courtney's and Josh's (never hear Joshua though) lately.

A

Andrew Macfarlane

Try removing any thick grease in the reel (carefully) and then spray the bearing and moving parts regularly,with GT85 which is a very thin Teflon-based lubricant, which will add miles to you cast as well as protect all your moving parts from abrasion/oxidisation etc.
Forget 'Rocket Fuel' etc. Seriously, GT85 comes in at 3 quid a tin (a big tin) and it's magic for all lubrication jobs. It just needs reapplying regularly.
Oh yes, it also acts as a water repellent.

A

Andrew Macfarlane

PS: I use it for all my ABU multis and they've been going strong for years.

B

Bob Watson

Where would I get a tin from Andy, I'm not tight but I think the rocket fuel is over priced to the point of taking the p**s