Yet another sewage spill

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I've just heard on the news that there has been yet another sewage spill. This time into the River Arun at Rudgewick, West of Horsham, in West Sussex.

This is barely 6 miles from the source of the Arun , and has already been found 8 miles downstream, and can only go all the way down to Littlehampton. I don't know if the weather will be blamed, it's been raining for days, but all the lakes and rivers around here are well down, so I can't see that as being the cause.

I ask again.

Did these 'spills' ever happen before the water companies were sold off?

It's time to punish the companies so hard that they can't afford to let it happen ever again!

Clearly, at present, they simply aren't scared enough of punishment to take preventative measures.

richiekelly

Reaction score
they are not scared of the punishment because it is the companies [that means the customer] that pay them not individuals, i wonder what would happen if the directors were held responsible, after all they are where the buck should stop arent they. is this yet another "legal" pollution incident?

watatoad

Reaction score
I've just heard on the news that there has been yet another sewage spill. This time into the River Arun at Rudgewick, West of Horsham, in West Sussex.

This is barely 6 miles from the source of the Arun , and has already been found 8 miles downstream, and can only go all the way down to Littlehampton. I don't know if the weather will be blamed, it's been raining for days, but all the lakes and rivers around here are well down, so I can't see that as being the cause.

I ask again.

Did these 'spills' ever happen before the water companies were sold off?

It's time to punish the companies so hard that they can't afford to let it happen ever again!

Clearly, at present, they simply aren't scared enough of punishment to take preventative measures.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree with punishing the water companies, you do that and I end up paying for it with larger bills, much better would be to put the directors in prison and seize every directors assets, I'd bet the threat of doing that would cause a change in the number of pollution problems we have

dannytaylor

Reaction score
terrible it should NOT be happening in this day and age :mad:

Not just the water authorities that should be held to order but the EA should be made to answer some serious questions, two major incidents in as many weeks.......................shameful!

richiekelly

Reaction score
Sorry, but I strongly disagree with punishing the water companies, you do that and I end up paying for it with larger bills, much better would be to put the directors in prison and seize every directors assets, I'd bet the threat of doing that would cause a change in the number of pollution problems we have

totaly agree!

Fairweather

Reaction score
As a Horsham boy who learnt to fish on this river I'm a bit blinking peed off by this. I don't fish the stretch affected any more, but that's not really the point. Very bad news, I hope someone has to cough up some compensation.

rains

Reaction score
Totally agree but will never happen